Re: Choosing the right type of API

Sean_Tierney2
Level 3

Choosing the right type of API

Hi,

I'm not very technically savvy with api's. How do you choose the right type of API to integrate a home grown CRM with Marketo? What are the high level pros/cons using rest vs soap?

Thanks,

Sean

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

We recommend that all new development be done in REST.  REST is the current focus of API development, and SOAP is unlikely to receive any enhancements moving forward.

Sean_Tierney2
Level 3

Thanks Kenny Elkington​. Any other helpful hints scoping out a REST API integration? I assume we'll need a developer(s) to implement. I've heard some companies using a middleware vendor, is that something we'd need for REST?

I've been skimming through the developer.marketo.com documentation on REST. Are there any other helpful or best practice resources I should be looking at?

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

It's pretty difficult to talk about in the abstract, especially for a homegrown CRM.  The best choice may depend on if you have any existing integrations to middleware providers.  I'd start your research on launchpoint with these two categorise: CRM – Marketo LaunchPoint  Integration – Marketo LaunchPoint   

There you can find middleware and integration partners that connect to Marketo.

As far as best practices go, those are going to be highly dependent on your CRM implementation.

Neil_Robertson6
Level 5

REST is always the preferred choice now.  SOAP is a legacy deployment.  I would also recommend 100% that you always use JSON as payload and response and XML is not well supported in Marketo - especially when it comes to element attributes.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

To clarify, XML is not supported at all by our REST API.