SOLVED

Re: Changing SFDC Campaign Name w/ SFDC Campaign Sync

Go to solution
Paul_Su2
Level 3

Changing SFDC Campaign Name w/ SFDC Campaign Sync

If I have a Marketo Campaign w/ SFDC Campaign Sync enabled, but now the webinar name has changed so I would like to update/change the SFDC Campaign Name

Is there a best way to do this? If I just change the Campaign Name in SFDC will it 'break' the campaign sync to Marketo? I don't think it will resync the campaign name (i.e. sync down to SFDC) if I change it in Marketo. Anyone done this before?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Dudek1
Level 2

Sydney Mulligan​ I frequently need to update SFDC campaign names - and when I do it automatically updates the SFDC campaign name where referenced in Marketo. You shouldn't have to change it in both. 

However, Paul Su​, you are correct in thinking you can't update the SFDC name in Marketo and expect it to update in SFDC. If you do this, it will just say you entered an invalid campaign name and fail to work properly.  You have to make this update in SFDC, but once you do, it will automatically update in Marketo - it may take some time to sync though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SydneyMulligan
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You need to change it in both Marketo AND Salesforce. I don't use the 1:1 campaign sync, but when I change the name of an SFDC campaign in Salesforce, I know I need to change where it is referenced in Marketo too or it will break the sync.

Mark_Dudek1
Level 2

Sydney Mulligan​ I frequently need to update SFDC campaign names - and when I do it automatically updates the SFDC campaign name where referenced in Marketo. You shouldn't have to change it in both. 

However, Paul Su​, you are correct in thinking you can't update the SFDC name in Marketo and expect it to update in SFDC. If you do this, it will just say you entered an invalid campaign name and fail to work properly.  You have to make this update in SFDC, but once you do, it will automatically update in Marketo - it may take some time to sync though.

SydneyMulligan
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Is this just for the 1:1 sync? I know it has broken on me before by changing the name in SFDC. Maybe this has been fixed since then.

Mark_Dudek1
Level 2

Sydney Mulligan​ Not just for the 1:1 sync, but when referenced in flows, etc... 

The other thing to watch out for that I've seen our FMM team do unknowingly is adding an extra space in the name on the SFDC side (usually due to sloppy copying and pasting). When you save the new campaign name in SFDC, you'll notice the extra space disappears (at least visually), but the extra space still exists on the "backend", or when you detail back into the name of the campaign in SFDC.  So when you then copy and paste the updated campaign name from SFDC into Marketo, it will error out as you need to use the name with the extra space in it (I hope this makes sense). This can break the connection between the systems.

(Ex. 2016 7 Event VMWorld (how it appears in SFDC campaign object) vs. 2016 7 Event  VMWorld (how it appears in Marketo and the backend of SFDC)

Colin Mann​ I typically sync campaigns with flows as well as it gives me greater control over what syncs and when.

Colin_Mann
Level 5

My experience is the same as Mark i.e. just update in SFDC and Marketo automatically updates without any issues. Is it different depending on the setup though? We synchronise using smart campaigns/flow steps and not automatically on the program level.

Paul_Su2
Level 3

Update: I made the change on the SFDC Campaign Name on the SFDC side and this automatically synched down into Marketo for where it references "SFDC Campaign Sync:" since I am utilizing this functionality and looks like this didn't cause any campaign flow issues.