Change List in Smart Campaign during wait step?

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Change List in Smart Campaign during wait step?

I have a smart campaign that sent an email (first flow step) and then waited 2 days (second flow step) before sending the second email (3rd flow step).  I realized now (still within the second flow step) that I need to remove some people from getting the 2nd email.  If I change the smart list in the campaign will that do it, or do I need to break out the send email flow step to say "if email = xxx, then do nothing" 
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Change List in Smart Campaign during wait step?

No, this will not work.

You need to create a smart list of the people you want to REMOVE. Then run a direct flow action (or a campaign):

Smart List: Removal
Flow: Remove from Flow: "Campaign Name"

then those people will no longer be in the flow.
Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

So smart lists are locked in when the campaign first runs.

If we call another campaign from that campaign, will the smart list recalculate at that time?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

No, once the campaign is run and enters the first flow step then the membership for the campaign is already determined. If you change flow steps after that it will just change what will occur for that same group of people. So you need to do what Josh is saying and use another campaign to remove certain leads from the flow.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

and this is managed through a separate smart campaign with that smart list and that flow step, relating to the other campaign that is currently in the wait step?

Will the "if email address = xxx then 'do nothing'" for the second send email flow not work?
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

1. Yes

2. That would work as well. You can change the upcoming flow step while the campaign is already running (while the leads are in your wait step). You can change it to "if condition A, then do nothing" "else send email X"