SOLVED

Re: Challenge in tracking form fills from original LP

Go to solution
Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Challenge in tracking form fills from original LP

We have certain landing pages that are going to be promoted on another website.

My issue is that even though I am planning to add a track Querystring with particular variables,

I am not sure that our website is set to persist these!

I have read a suggestion of writing the original parameters to a cookie via Javascript, and then using those on subsequent form fills, even if in the course of the users' "travels" on my site they have received a second Querystring through targeted promotion.

I am looking for advice and if there may be another solution?

Thanks

CC: Ravi Numboori - Production​, Grégoire Michel Sanford Whiteman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Geoff_Krajeski1

Thanks all.

In the end Forms 2.0 and the referrer (being the page containing/submitting the form) was a hairy point.

We ended up getting this to work in the following manner:

• Added form fields (to applicable (second page) forms) for Original Lead Source Partner & Last Lead Source Partner (forms 2.0)
  • Added JS to form pages to parse parameters from referring landing page's (URL on our site) querystring
  • Updated programs for these to check, using Filters, for the Last Lead Source Partner = [this campaign's value] in conjunction with having the proper Last Lead Source Content parameter

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Geoffrey,

Cookies might do the job only if the other website is in the same domain as the current LP's.

If you are not in the same domain, you are heading towards a multi-domain implementation. If this case, there is a solution if you or someone in your organization has access to the DNS of this other website.

If so, you may want to add a domain redirect to this second domain and then, you will be able to publish the landing pages in this second domain.

The last issue you will be facing is the navigation from the current web site to the new one which is also and issue if the other domain DNS is not under your control. In this case, Sanford Whiteman​ is the right person to talk to.

In order to make multi-domain management easier and stronger, vote here:

-Greg

Geoff_Krajeski1

Landing page will not be Marketo LPs, but rather site pages.

From the site page, we have CTAs pointing to specific forms like "Contact Us" or "Request a Consultation"

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Geoff,

With regards to tracking and cookies, what's important is whether or not these are the same domain.

In term of capturing the first UTMs or referrer so that you can get them in the Marketo from on the second visited page, the cookie might be a good approach, provided that the landing and the Marketo pages are in the same domain.

-Greg

Geoff_Krajeski1

My tech team has also advised that via JS they can pull the QS parameters into the form's hidden values based on the referrer.

And, yes, these are the same domain.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Geoffrey,

If this is the same domain, indeed, this is much easier.

If the tech team wants to use JS, advise them to use Marketo Form 2.0 API. http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/websites/forms-2-0/

-Greg

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hi Geoffrey,

I agree with your web team. You do not need to set the values for the hidden UTM fields in Marketo at all - it can (and perhaps should) all be done in the JavaScript that manages the persistence of the UTM values. In that case you can leave the autofill for the field empty as follows:

pastedImage_0.png

and let the JavaScript populate it.

Best,

Pavel

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Pavel,

If you use the Forms 2.0 API, you do not even need to add the hidden field to the form. You can have the field added dynamically by the JS and populated with the addhiddenfield function.

-Greg

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Good point, Greg.

It make be "spooky" to get field values set even though they are not defined in the form, but not having to add fields to form when you need a new parameter is an obvious advantage.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Pavel

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Geoffrey Krajeski​:

I've done something exactly as you described:

We have a digital ad campaign that leads to a page that has a form and a link to a Contact Us page.  The requirement is to capture the utm_source regardless of the form that's filled out. Now, I have multiple campaigns pointing to the same page. If the lead fills out the form on the main page it's no problem. It becomes a problem when they click on the Contact Us, as I can't persist a parameter.

So here's what I did:

Chrome Legacy Window 692016 23852 PM.bmp.jpg

Chrome Legacy Window 692016 24011 PM.bmp.jpg

Robb Barrett