SOLVED

Re: Capturing multiple data on forms

Go to solution
Hoppers13
Level 4

Capturing multiple data on forms

Hi all, we have a recommend a friend scheme which is currently very manual and involves printing out a voucher (who even owns a printer these days?)

So, we want to capture details of referrer & referral on one form. to be presented to sales at point of sale.

The only people that will have access to the form should be referrer & referee to ensure that people are qualified. 

We're conscious that  the referrer wont be able to fill out their friends info due to gdpr.

what would be the easiest way to do this please?

ideally we'd like to avoid a business change here, but i appreciate gdpr is what it is, but a form on a live link with multiple email address fields & salutations' fdor example could work but i currently see no way to do this in marketo.

thanks! Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SaurabhGoyal_GN
Level 3

Hi @Hoppers13 - 

There are multiple ways to do this, 

First one - Create few custom fields - 
- Referrer's Email Address
- Referrer's First Name 

- Referrer's Last Name 

- Any others as per requirement
Now you can create a form

Label                          Field
Referee FN                 First Name

Referee LN                 Last Name
Referee Email            Email Address

Your Email Address          Referrer's Email Address
Your First Name                Referrer's First Name 

Your Lasst Name               Referrer's Last Name 

you may can add other required fields as well in the form.

This will create a new lead of referee in the system with referrer's details on it. You can process the lead accordingly.
As far as validations are concerned, Required validations can be applied through scripts.

Second approch can be based on a concept of Marketo,  Make a Marketo Form Submission in the Background
HTML form(s) can be created on LP and required information can be sumitted to the marketo form which is present in background(Hidden). 

This is a complete project, But this is doable in MARKETO! 

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SaurabhGoyal_GN
Level 3

Hi @Hoppers13 - 

There are multiple ways to do this, 

First one - Create few custom fields - 
- Referrer's Email Address
- Referrer's First Name 

- Referrer's Last Name 

- Any others as per requirement
Now you can create a form

Label                          Field
Referee FN                 First Name

Referee LN                 Last Name
Referee Email            Email Address

Your Email Address          Referrer's Email Address
Your First Name                Referrer's First Name 

Your Lasst Name               Referrer's Last Name 

you may can add other required fields as well in the form.

This will create a new lead of referee in the system with referrer's details on it. You can process the lead accordingly.
As far as validations are concerned, Required validations can be applied through scripts.

Second approch can be based on a concept of Marketo,  Make a Marketo Form Submission in the Background
HTML form(s) can be created on LP and required information can be sumitted to the marketo form which is present in background(Hidden). 

This is a complete project, But this is doable in MARKETO! 

Thanks

Hoppers13
Level 4

Thanks Saurabh, I was aware of the custom fields solution but am not too experienced with them yet. (my team is however).

this would solve part of the problem but we'd still have issues around capturing consents from friends & family, but this is another conversation!

thanks, Mike

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Note for any Referral Form pattern, you must remove the tracking info from the form:

MktoForms2.whenReady(function (form) {
   form.addHiddenFields({ 
      _mkt_trk: "",
      mkt_tok: ""
   });

form.onSubmit(function (form) {
      form.vals({ 
         _mkt_trk: "",
         mkt_tok: ""
      });
   });
})

Otherwise the web activities of the referrer (i.e. the outside partner) will be logged under the newly created lead. You absolutely don’t want that.

I’d also question whether the simple approach above really suffices. In my experience, people want the referrer‘s record to get updated (i.e. with a field like Last Referral Email), not just the referral. That allows you to send an autoresponder to the referrer, give credit, etc. For this to work you need a more robust JS-powered solution that updates both the referrer and referral(s), like:

MktoForms2 :: Referral v2.1.2 (supports multiple referrals) 

Hoppers13
Level 4

hi people, i'm currently scoping out the solution using the simple method as above, but have encountered issues with enabling marketo to identify who is referring who.

We have customer ID's from our CRM, and i wondered if there was a way we could use these unique codes as custom tokens within the custom fields, or even if it was the referral's email address or something?

thanks all again.

Mike

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Sorry, what information is missing?

The code updates the field Last Referral Email Address on the Referrer record (contains the last person they referred).

And it updates the field First Referred By Email Address on the Referral record (contains the person who initially referred them).

Obviously these custom fields need to exist in your instance.