Canceling a calendar invite

Anonymous
Not applicable

Canceling a calendar invite

Does anyone know how to cancel a calendar invite sent via Marketo? We have to postpone a webinar and a few people have already registered and received the usual ics calendar invite in the confirmation. Can I somehow change the status of the invite in the token? Will deleting the webinar in ON24 first trigger an update to the Marketo event?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Canceling a calendar invite

You can't change the status to cancelled within a Marketo-managed calendar token -- but If they've already added the appointment to their calendar, then changing the token on Marketo's servers would have no effect anyway.

However, you can add the event to your calendar, cancel it, and save a cancelled version of the ICS.  Then upload the cancelled version as an asset and send it out to either those people who clicked the ICS or to all users who received the invite.  Obviously, the latter is not something you'll enjoy doing, but as long as you leave the announcement out there without cancelling it deliberately -- not just the ICS, I mean the announcement in the email itself -- there may be confusion.  The choice is yours on that front.

In future I suggest linking to a manually uploaded ICS from the start so you're not so tightly coupled.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I like Sanford's idea, but I have a better one for you:

Close the reg page by deactivating it and turn off the reg campaign.

Then send a cancellation note to those who did Register. Then de-register them from the Program.

Then reschedule everything and send again with a NEW program and webinar.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, yeah, I assumed the assets/pages associated with the campaign would also be deleted.

But that doesn't address the idea of uninviting people who have already clicked an ICS, that is, forcibly withdrawing their acceptance of the appointment into their calendar.  The only way to do that is via an ICS set to CANCELLED, which is a standard ICS type (you see them a lot in Microsoft Exchange envts).