SOLVED

Re: Can you overwrite ownership with auto assignment rules upon a form fillout?

Go to solution
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Can you overwrite ownership with auto assignment rules upon a form fillout?

Hi All!

Background:

Most of our early stage leads are owned by "Marketo", the Marketo User.  We run into an issue when these people fill out a web form.  They are synced to salesforce under Marketo's ownership rather than going through the "-- Use Auto-Assignment Rules --" Sync Lead to SFDC flow action to be assigned the appropriate owner.

Current Process:

1. Lead fills out form

2. Lead goes through the "-- Use Auto-Assignment Rules --" Sync Lead to SFDC flow action to be assigned the appropriate owner in SFDC.

Desired Process:

1. Lead fills out form

2. If Lead Owner Last Name = Marketo THEN change owner to NULL (this would allow them to go through the auto assignment rules then)

2. Lead goes through the "-- Use Auto-Assignment Rules --" Sync Lead to SFDC flow action to be assigned the appropriate owner in SFDC.

Question:

My question then is are we able to set the ownership to NULL in the flow before the Sync Lead to SFDC flow action takes place?  This person would then go through the auto-assignment rules.  If this does not work, how else can we accomplish something like this?

Thanks ahead of time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You will need to create a workaround in SFDC OR Change Owner if you happen to know the correct Owners and it's not too complex.

Example workflow

• Fills Out Form
    • if Lead Owner Last Name=Marketo, then Change Owner

OR

• Fills Out Form
    • if Lead Owner Last Name=Marketo, then set Reroute Flag=T
    • Sync to SFDC
    • SFDC then reprocesses LARs, but you have to ensure that the Apex code knows that when Reroute Flag=T, it should reprocess and reassign.
    • Unfortunately, Marketo can't do this in complex situations because it becomes messy or hard to load the screen.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nate,

SFDC auto assignment rules only fire on lead creation, not on lead update. You will learn more reading this idea:

-Greg

Josh_Hill13

sure, but SFDC LARs and triggers should be the ones to do this based on field updates. If Marketo forced a LAR reprocess that was all the time, you'd end up with unhappy salespeople if the rules of engagement aren't super clear.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

I agree with you. But Marketo is completely unable to fire SFDC LARs on lead update, so this is not even an option...

I fully agree that it has to be managed somehow, hence the Idea that I entered a few months ago that proposes to have a checkbox so that the Marketo user could choose whether or not the assignment rules should be triggered on update. For instance, in a smart campaign, we would have "if score > 50 then sync with Marketo AND fire LAR", while regular sync would not fire LAR.

And also the workaround I propose in this idea has the same feature.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13

Greg, I meant that it'd be easier for the user to setup a flag to do this and allow the business to decide/build a trigger in SFDC for this purpose. My thinking is that to build in such a flag and re-fire would be dangerous without serious thought.

Most firms want to re-fire the LARs on Lead Status change, and the variations can be infinite here. Larger firms tend to have "protection rules" or other re-assignment logic based on Sales's ROEs.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

I agree and this is what the idea I mentioned proposes. This is also what the workaround I describe in the idea does.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13

You will need to create a workaround in SFDC OR Change Owner if you happen to know the correct Owners and it's not too complex.

Example workflow

• Fills Out Form
    • if Lead Owner Last Name=Marketo, then Change Owner

OR

• Fills Out Form
    • if Lead Owner Last Name=Marketo, then set Reroute Flag=T
    • Sync to SFDC
    • SFDC then reprocesses LARs, but you have to ensure that the Apex code knows that when Reroute Flag=T, it should reprocess and reassign.
    • Unfortunately, Marketo can't do this in complex situations because it becomes messy or hard to load the screen.
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

I did not think their was a simply way to accomplish this.  We will have to develop something more complex unfortunately.