SOLVED

Can we see who has responded to an email?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we see who has responded to an email?

I'm getting a lot of requests to see if I can pull a list of people who have responded to emails.  Is this possible? If so how would I go about setting it up?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can we see who has responded to an email?

Hi Lauren,

That would depend on what you mean by "responded to emails". 

As you can imagine all that Marketo can really track is who is opening emails, clicking links in emails and if everything is set up correctly, what the people who click on your email then do online/website.  I would suggest you think about what this data is for so that you can work out what report to do.  My experience is that opening an email is a terrible report as many emails are opened "automatically" and therefore that report does not provide much value.  The best report would be if you can plan your emails so that there is a specific web page you want visited so that you can track who does that (like submitting a form, viewing pricing etc.)

You can very easily pull lists of who is opening and clicking on your emails by pulling of smart lists.  If you are asking users to click on links in your emails and have the Marketo tracking code on the pages they are visiting you can also then report on that activity.  For instance you could track who visited maybe a pricing page after being sent an email. 

All this would need to be done through smart lists using activity criteria like visited web page, clicked link in email, openened email.

Simon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lauren,

That would depend on what you mean by "responded to emails". 

As you can imagine all that Marketo can really track is who is opening emails, clicking links in emails and if everything is set up correctly, what the people who click on your email then do online/website.  I would suggest you think about what this data is for so that you can work out what report to do.  My experience is that opening an email is a terrible report as many emails are opened "automatically" and therefore that report does not provide much value.  The best report would be if you can plan your emails so that there is a specific web page you want visited so that you can track who does that (like submitting a form, viewing pricing etc.)

You can very easily pull lists of who is opening and clicking on your emails by pulling of smart lists.  If you are asking users to click on links in your emails and have the Marketo tracking code on the pages they are visiting you can also then report on that activity.  For instance you could track who visited maybe a pricing page after being sent an email. 

All this would need to be done through smart lists using activity criteria like visited web page, clicked link in email, openened email.

Simon
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Simon, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. This is great, what I'm being asked for is if we can pull a list of people who have replied to an email, so they've recieved an email from us and emailed our sales people directly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lauren,

That would be impossible unless you have some very clever software that checks every email that your sales people get sent (which I think would be illegal) or you get your sales people to manually record every time they get a reply of an email.  Unfortunately it is impossible to track that people are replying to your emails with Marketo (or any marketing software).

Simon
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah...ok, thank you for you help.  
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There's nothing illegal (???) about receiving replies at an address that can send events to Marketo (using the Marketo API) before forwarding the e-mail.  We do exactly this and we are in strictly regulated industry. What could possibly be the statute that stops you from automatically processing replies?

So, contrary to what @Simon says, it's completely possible to do this.  In fact, we are considering offering our solution (which uses Microsoft Exchange add-ins) as a separate product to the public.
Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

i'd be glad to get any hints how to be able to track those who hit reply

we need this no just for the metrics, we're planning a nurturing campaign, where if a person replies to sales right away it's only reasonable to stop sending him further marketing emails.

Unfortunately, the only way i can find this out is to actually know who replied which i can't track now

we don't use SalesForce and neither outlook plugin so i'm quite at a loss what else could be done