Can we create a webhook for importing data in my custom object from the person's record ?

MMundra1
Level 3

Can we create a webhook for importing data in my custom object from the person's record ?

Hi All,

My query is can we create a webhook which would dynamically import the data (let say a lead's email address) from Marketo database and post it into my Marketo custom object field (let say custom email address) when he/she fills out a form?

Mahak Mundra
4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Can we create a webhook for importing data in my custom object from the person's record ?

If you have a webhook-compatible service that could do that for you, then I don't see a reason why you can't do that (Sandy's Flowboost would be a great fit here IMO)! Basically, you'd want to pass the necessary lead info along with the necessary data for creating a custom object record from Marketo to the service which can then call Marketo's CO APIs to create a CO record. The service would need to make multiple calls to Marketo to get an access token (in case the previously cached token isn't valid) and then to create a custom object record. Additionally, it'd be a good idea to save all values from the form post to a single field and then pass it to the service! Check out Sandy's article regarding that here

MMundra1
Level 3

Re: Can we create a webhook for importing data in my custom object from the person's record ?

HI @Darshil_Shah1 , thanks for your response. Just to let you know that I played to post the data (Custom email address, custom id) via "import custom object data" in my defined custom object and it worked well. 

MMundra1_0-1679298032358.png

However, I was actually trying to figure it out if we can somehow do this via automation (like webhook etc) where the custom object record gets created (and custom fields with values) and mapped with the correct lead id when a form fillout happens.

But as you mentioned, it requires a webhook compatible service to get the job done and cannot be achieved via Marketo itself.

Mahak Mundra
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Not something that could be done via Marketo UI only! However, this is doable using webhook and would require some development effort. You can call the webhook from the trigger campaign that listens for the form-fill activity.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

We do a lot of work w/COs via webhook, from reading and aggregating data (summarizing to a Person field) to writing new CO records. The REST API for COs, being newer, is quite straightforward.