Can the same email be sent multiple times to one contact in an A/B Test?

Connor_McBride
Level 1

Can the same email be sent multiple times to one contact in an A/B Test?

Has anyone ever encountered and A/B test for Send date/time sending out an email multiple times to the same contact that is in a smartlist?

My smarlist size was around 9K but the emails delivered count is nearly double that amount? Included myself in the email send and was sent the same email 3 times (different times/days due to A/B test)

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can the same email be sent multiple times to one contact in an A/B Test?

You see all of those sends in the Activity Log for the same lead ID and same linked campaign?

Connor_McBride
Level 1

Yes, it appears the contact I am looking at was apart of multiple test groups. Which is what concerns me, since I am unaware of how those are set up during an A/B test.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 2.34.50 PM.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It definitely should not be part of multiple groups. Something's amiss here -- although I understand the sends appear under the same lead ID, can you also make sure there isn't another lead with the same Email Address in the database? And how did you qualify people for the send (Smart List)?

Connor_McBride
Level 1

I can confirm that there is not another lead in the database with the same email address.

We qualified people for this send as being part of a separate smartlist that we had built. So the smartlist for the email program was simply member of smartlist --> Person in "our smartlist". 

I should mention that the test sample size for the A/B test was set to 100% as well. 

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello Connor McBride‌,

Can you check that record and see if there is any "Merge" activity.
A/B Testing has 2 background campaigns to do the A/B and winner parts. 

The background 'exploration' Smart Campaign, and the winner is sent via the 'exploitation' campaign.

More info on 100% A/B test + sending to dupes:
https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-4820-ab-test-was-100-but-certain-records-were-sent-the-winner 

Connor_McBride
Level 1

There were not any "Merge" activities on the contact. I am seeing 3 TestGroup Variants thought all exploration campaigns no exploitation campaigns.