SOLVED

Re: Can't build smart list by Company

Go to solution
Julz_James
Level 10

Can't build smart list by Company

Hi,

I'm trying to create a smart list that excludes a number of companies - I am using the 'Company Name' and 'Inferred Company' filters in the smart list, however when I then look at my leads all of these 'excluded companies' are in the list.  In my list the field title in Company, not Company Name, but there is no 'Company' in the filter selection in the Smart List set up...can anyone help please???

Thanks

Juli
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you are adding this list to exclude companies in a campaign, a better way is to do this:

Company Name IS
OR
Company Name STARTS WITH/CONTAINS
OR Inferred Name...

then place this smart list into your campaign by saying

Member of Smart List NOT IN "Excluded Companies List"

it is easier to make a positive set of statements, then to tell Marketo to NOT include that group, than it is to make a list of everyone who is NOT that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi Juli,

Did you set it to use ALL filters or use ANY fitlers. I think you'd want to use ANY filters here (Company Name = X OR Inferred Company = X OR ....). Have you also thought about using "contains" certain domains in the email address field or in the website field to exclude certain companies?

For example, if I were to exclude my company, I would set up a Smart LIst to look like this: Company Name not contains Skyword OR Email Address does not contain @skyword.com OR Website does not contain skyword.com OR Inferred Company does not contain Skyword.

Adam
Josh_Hill13

If you are adding this list to exclude companies in a campaign, a better way is to do this:

Company Name IS
OR
Company Name STARTS WITH/CONTAINS
OR Inferred Name...

then place this smart list into your campaign by saying

Member of Smart List NOT IN "Excluded Companies List"

it is easier to make a positive set of statements, then to tell Marketo to NOT include that group, than it is to make a list of everyone who is NOT that.
Julz_James
Level 10

I've used Company Name contains, but I thnk because there are different variations of the names it is missing some of them.  I've tried shortening some of the company names i'm trying to exclude to see if it will pick up the missing names.

Thanks for your help everyone 🙂
Josh_Hill13

You'll have to put in as many variations as you can. It will never be 100%.

You can also add known domains like

Email Address CONTAINS "ibm.com"