Re: Can smart campaigns track Marketo links on other company/client landing pages?

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Can smart campaigns track Marketo links on other company/client landing pages?

Hi all,

Is it possible for one company to use Marketo to collect lead info off of another partnering company's website if the company provides them with the gated asset URLs? My company wants to use the landing pages of another company's website, and they want to use our Marketo URLs for the gated assets associated with these landing pages.

Has anybody tried doing this? I'm not sure how lead info can be collected in this case if its through another company's landing pages/ forms? What would I need on my end in order to build out my smart campaigns? It would be triggered and I would think you could use the constraint Web Page is... xyz but isn't that only for landing pages built in your Marketo instance?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks, Tom

Tom Kerlin
4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can smart campaigns track Marketo links on other company/client landing pages?

You can send Visit Web Page activities to your Marketo instance from any domain that runs Munchkin (even if it already runs Munchkin for another company's Marketo instance, the same activities can be sent to your instance as well).

However, without custom code, you will not be able to share Munchkin cookies between sites.  Therefore, for example, a third-party LP on www.example.com could run Munchkin and sign people up with a form that would then associate first-party cookie ABC-123-45678 with lead tom@kerlin.com. But if the lead arrives on your site -- call it www.another-example.com -- bearing no further information, they will be anonymous from your site's perspective.

We've built some really cool cross-domain tracking solutions, but you need considerable cooperation from both domains to make this happen.

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Sanford,

So, it sounds like I really need to have the Munchkin cookies shared between sites in order to collect any worthwhile piece of information (like info. submitted from filling out a form). If i lacked this, what information could I collect (assuming both domains ran Munchkin)? And to clarify all landing pages would be hosted by our partner (including follow up page with gated assets).

Also, assuming all of above factors were squared away, can you give an example of what that smart campaign's smart list and flow steps might look like? For Visit Web Page, can you insert any webpage URL? What constraints would I need to include?

Tom Kerlin
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So, it sounds like I really need to have the Munchkin cookies shared between sites in order to collect any worthwhile piece of information (like info. submitted from filling out a form).

Well, not exactly.  A form is actually a bad example because forms don't even require Munchkin.  An form on a partner site will post data to Marketo just fine (assuming it is using the embed code and/or the Forms 2.0 API to post data).  Cross-domain form posting, on its own, is guaranteed.

Where forms intersect with Munchkin is in their ability to associate a Munchkin activity-tracking cookie with a known lead.  So if the partner site were running Munchkin and someone filled out an embedded form there, the cookie on the partner site would be associated with a lead and so their past and future activities on the partner site would be not only logged to your instance, but associated with the lead in your instance.

If both domains run Munchkin and you use the code necessary to share the Munchkin cookie cross-domain, then when the lead navigates to your domain they will be known there as well. (If they already had an associated cookie at your domain, this cookie will be replaced, but the previous activities will stick around on the lead -- assuming that is, in fact, the same lead that filled out the form)

If you don't share the cookie, then, simply put, unless you can get the lead to also self-associate on your domain (via email link click, form fillout, or other means) you won't see their web activities on your domain.  In the best case scenario, everyone who fills out a form on the partner domain also gets a follow-up email with a link to your domain, which they promptly click to be associated.   Obviously, this is not always going to be achievable.

Also, assuming all of above factors were squared away, can you give an example of what that smart campaign's smart list and flow steps might look like? For Visit Web Page, can you insert any webpage URL? What constraints would I need to include?

Visit Web Page matching the partner domain and/or specific LPs within that domain.  It's just like tracking hits on Marketo LPs or on your own domain. Clicks Link, same idea. There really is no difference between Munchkin on www.example.com and Munchkin on www.another-example.com.   

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

And I think I might want to use "Clicks link on Webpage" too since I'm providing my Marketo instance's URL for the assets.

Tom Kerlin