SOLVED

Can MKTO form fields update/overwrite SFDC account fields?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can MKTO form fields update/overwrite SFDC account fields?

Is there documentation about this anywhere? 

As I recall, MKTO form fields cannot overwrite standard SFDC account fields, is that correct? For example, if an existing customer contact in SFDC filled in their company name in an online form for trade show respondents with a typo in their company name, it wouldn't overwrite the existing account's company name with the typo, correct?

Thanks for your help. I'm training someone but I don't see a document for this.

Lynn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Can MKTO form fields update/overwrite SFDC account fields?

Hi Frank,

This is not correct.

Marketo cannot write on accounts, whatever your setup. See SFDC Sync: Account Sync - Marketo Docs - Product Docs .

More precisely, if you change a account field value in Marketo with a change data value flow step, you will have the illusion that it took your new value, but next time the contact syncs, SFDC values will override Marketo values.

My understanding is that there is an exception if Person accounts are activated in SFDC.

-Greg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Really depends on your setup, generally if you haven't blocked them through Field Management, form fill outs, list uploads, etc... will overwrite SFDC.

Documentation on how to block can be found here - Block Updates to a Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Frank,

This is not correct.

Marketo cannot write on accounts, whatever your setup. See SFDC Sync: Account Sync - Marketo Docs - Product Docs .

More precisely, if you change a account field value in Marketo with a change data value flow step, you will have the illusion that it took your new value, but next time the contact syncs, SFDC values will override Marketo values.

My understanding is that there is an exception if Person accounts are activated in SFDC.

-Greg

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Grégoire, sorry we use both personal and corporate accounts in our SFDC.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Another exception -- although this is a very edge case -- is if you've had Marketo activate the ability to overwrite account fields in your instance. There are a lot of potential repercussions to this, though, so I wouldn't advise it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your time. I'm a one woman show here and I hate to have to depend on my brain alone when training new users!

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, that's correct.

BUT, you should go to Admin > Field Management > Block fields to ensure that key fields are not overwritten. The Contact itself could get overwritten, but would then have the Account update it again.