Re: Can Marketo wait before adding a lead to a campaign?

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Can Marketo wait before adding a lead to a campaign?

So I have a marketo instance that uses forms people fill out on our site to then send those leads to SFDC. Once in SFDC we have a series of lead assignment rules that take ~5 minutes to take effect and the lead to be assigned properly in SFDC. Once in salesforce we trigger a task for the lead to be worked on by a sales rep. The task is always assigned to the current lead owner.

My issue is that I'm seeing many instances where in SFDC the lead is created and then immediately added to a campaign in salesforce (this campaign member creation triggers the task) and the lead is not yet properly assigned. I was hoping someone could explain to me how I could ensure that the lead is assigned or make it so marketo waits for a period of time before adding the lead to a campaign in SFDC so that it will be properly assigned.

A sample campaign in marketo looks like this:

Smart List: Fills Out Form - Form Name: is website-demo.form

Flow:

1. Change program status - program: website-demo new status: Content > Engaged
  2. Change Data Value - Attribute: Member Last Responded Date New Value: {{system.dateTime}}
  3. WAIT - Duration: 30 Minutes
  4. Add to SFDC Campaign - Campaign: website-demo Status: Responded

Let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to ensure marketo waits a set period of time between creating the lead and adding it to a campaign or ensuring the lead is no longer assigned to our sfdc marketo user "marketo integration" before adding it to a sfdc campaign.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like you need to add a wait step in Salesforce

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Since marketo is the one both assigning the lead and then adding the lead to a campaign, can the wait step not be implemented in marketo?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Brian,

You cannot make the campaign attachment to differ as soon as you use program - campaign sync. There are quite few ideas on this, such as this one:

In the mean time, you should delay the task creation by a few minutes. Since it's in SFDC, you just need to make your workflow a Time base workflow.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Generally we always have a wait step FIRST or immediately after a sync to let SFDC catch up before using Lead Owner or re-assignment.

Update marketo stuff

Sync to SFDC

Wait 15 min

Do more stuff based on SFDC values.