Can I edit an email program that is running, and then approve the draft to go live at a later date?

ezipse
Level 2

Can I edit an email program that is running, and then approve the draft to go live at a later date?

Hi Marketo Community!

I'm hoping someone has an answer for me.

I have a nurture campaign running (it was a complicated set-up, so I don't want to mess with it) and I need to update the emails to have relevant content for the new year.

I'm just editing the content of the emails, with the goal of having the new emails go out on Jan. 1.  Since the current campaign is already running, would I be able to edit the emails, and then not actually approve them until Jan 1?  So if I edited them today, but didn't click "approve", would the current version continue running in the campaign, until I go in and approve the emails on Jan. 1?

I'm trying to get as much done in advance, but don't want to mess with my campaign if it won't be sending during that time.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can I edit an email program that is running, and then approve the draft to go live at a later date?

By "already running" do you mean it's an already scheduled batch campaign, or that you have people in a Wait step? Don't know which of these (or both) you're referring to.

In any case, yes, only the approved version goes out, so you can wait to approve.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Can I edit an email program that is running, and then approve the draft to go live at a later date?

As @SanfordWhiteman said, technically the answer to your question is yes.

However, if you are editing the content of your emails beyond updating the year, I would suggest to add an end date to your original emails (assuming from your description you are indeed running an engagement program) and create new emails that become available from Jan 1st. With differing content, you would want to evaluate how the new version performs against the old one.

It would not be that more difficult (just clone the email and update the new version), add an availability to the old one in the stream and add the new email to your stream, again defining availability.