Re: Can I create a smart list to determine who visited a blog post and filled out form?

Ranae_Mogensen
Level 2

Can I create a smart list to determine who visited a blog post and filled out form?

Hi,

I thought this would be simple, but I must be missing a step. I published a blog post last week. At the end of the blog post is a CTA to a landing page with a form. I'd like to attribute the downloads to the blog post.

Does anyone know how to do this quickly?

Thank you!

Ranae

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Can I create a smart list to determine who visited a blog post and filled out form?

Hi

Can you share your smart list criteria?

Best;m

Ranae_Mogensen
Level 2

I think that's part of my problem. The smart list criteria I THINK I need is:

visited web page

Clicked Link

But that's not garnering any people, when I know for a fact that some people filled out the form from that linked page.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Did you try a combination of trigger (fills out form) AND visited web page? This would run any time someone fills out a form (and did visit the defined page as well within some timeframe).

Ranae_Mogensen
Level 2

I did. Obviously something is funky. Thanks for helping!

Ranae

Jazmine_Moore
Level 2

Hi Ranae,

Try two filters: Filled Out Form and Visited Web Page.

Filled Out Form:

Form Name is:

Web Page is: [landing page]

and

Visited Web Page

Web Page is: [landing page]

Referrer is: [blog post]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ranae,

One way to troubleshoot this in the future is to add a hidden field to your form to capture the referral URL. Here is a good article from the community that explains how to do that: Capturing the Referring URL

Julie_Colwell1
Level 5

I would agree with Courtney Tobe​. This how I would approach it as you know exactly who downloaded through the CTA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using Forms 2.0 the referring URL should be captured as Original Referrer by default in the lead record.  All leads can be viewed by a combination of:

Visited Web Page is - (or contains with the blog portion of the URL) AND

Filled out form IS  - NAME OF FORM

To run a smart list lookup of only NEW leads, use Person created and add the filter for the form, then select the form.

You could also add a hidden field as Boolean for the campaign specifically or add a pre-filled, hidden Source value.   I love to create interesting moments within the flow step of automation updates based on form fills that leverages system date and time tokens, the action, and the campaign associated.

Also if you leverage a content program inside of Marketo and the form lives there, you have Visited, Engaged and Submitted statuses by default you can update with results for a snapshot over time.  Any new leads generated through the form will then show in the program as socially acquired.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you are using Forms 2.0 the referring URL should be captured as Original Referrer by default in the lead record.

Original Referrer is stamped only once; it's not the same as the external referrer of an individual Filled Out Form activity.