SOLVED

Re: Calendly -> Google Invites (Shared) -> Marketo

Go to solution
tina
Level 2

Calendly -> Google Invites (Shared) -> Marketo

Hi! One of our main interactions with our audience is in booking demos. These demos are booked through Calendly, which generates a Google Calendar invite. The person booking often forwards this invite to a team of people who accept the invitation and add the event to their calendars. The main person, the person who booked the demo, is added to our system automatically. Is there a way to capture these other people in marketo? Is this something integrating with Zapier could help with? 

As an example, PersonA (PA) books a demo via calendly. PA is added to SFDC via calendly and synced with marketo. Calendly sends PA a google calendar invite.  PA accepts and then forwards that invite to PB, PC, and PD who click "yes" they will attend and the invite is added to their calendars. Is there a way to get the emails of PB, PC, and PD? Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yep, you could poll the Event details using Apps Script to capture those updates ("Guest responded Yes"). And then, after a fashion, change the person's Marketo Program Status using the REST API.

But there's no trigger/relationship to Marketo out-of-the-box. That would be custom dev.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman

Not if those Calendly links go straight to Google Calendar.

Marketo has no idea that that communcation happened, it's between the mail client and GCal.

SanfordWhiteman

@tina please check my response in your thread.

tina
Level 2

Hi, Yes I understand that Marketo has no idea that hat that communication happened, which is why I mentioned a tool like Zapier. I am continuing to look into a solution and will post here if/when I find one. Or hopefully someone who has successfully found a way will respond. 

SanfordWhiteman

Don't think you completely understand what I'm saying, actually.

Calendly has a robust outbound API. We've built an entire custom integration around it (far more robust than a primitive Zap).

But if you only add an event to your calendar, and you don't even have to click a link to retrieve the ICS file (i.e. it's embedded in the email) then no service can know that you did that.  It's the same as a service knowing I detached a DOCX that someone sent me and saved it to my hard drive: that action cannot be tracked.

Even if you have to click a link to generate a dynamic ICS file, if that link click isn't something your company can track, you can't know if somebody gen'd the ICS and added imported it into Outlook.

Note a first-party service, like something you integrate with your own Google Calendar or Outlook/Exchange, can certainly know when you've added an event and react to that. But people aren't going to install something that phones home to an external svc.

SanfordWhiteman

To give a direct technical example, when a Calendly meeting is booked, the integration gateway gets a JSON POST with detailed information:

2020-05-12 19_35_48-ngrok - Inspect.png

And the recipient gets an email with the 2 types of calendar link:

2020-05-12 20_07_47-Inbox [1_1463] - Sanford Whiteman (sandy@figureone.com).png

But when those links are clicked, though those clicks happen to be tracked internally by Calendly — meaning Calendly corporate — the clicks are not signaled to customers.

So the gateway will never have any knowledge that they happened. And it doesn't matter what code you use, a custom gateway or  a simplified platform like Zapier, there is no signal from Calendly for those clicks.

tina
Level 2

If we were to have a google account that is on every single demo, so in theory this account would "see" the emails of who will be attending, could that account that we have access to then send the emails to marketo? 

Second part of the question: is there marketo integration with gotomeeting?

For our demos, some attendees log in via gotomeeting (without ever accepting a calendar invite). Others accept the calendar invite and then gather for the demo in a conference room (...back in the day) so the gatherers don't individually log in to gotomeeting. 

SanfordWhiteman

If we were to have a google account that is on every single demo, so in theory this account would "see" the emails of who will be attending, could that account that we have access to then send the emails to marketo? 

Second part of the question: is there marketo integration with gotomeeting?

For our demos, some attendees log in via gotomeeting (without ever accepting a calendar invite). Others accept the calendar invite and then gather for the demo in a conference room (...back in the day) so the gatherers don't individually log in to gotomeeting. 

AFAIK that account (the Google account linked to Calendly) doesn't get any notification one way or the other if people add the event to their personal calendars.

It's a factor of the way the Calendly invites are sent out. They're really quite neutral, akin to a personal appointment (i.e. personal from the perspective of the invitee).

tina
Level 2

Here's an example of what we see in our calendars. Calendly organizes the entire thing between the Scheduler and the Organizer (our employee).  Then as others accept the requests sent by the Scheduler (which I understand we cannot track that interaction), we then see the new Invitees, with their email, as attending on our calendar event. Would it be possible to pass the emails from this event (as shown in the screenshot) to Marketo for every event on a certain google account/calendar. 
Radformation_-_Calendar_-_Week_of_May_17__2020.png

SanfordWhiteman

Yep, you could poll the Event details using Apps Script to capture those updates ("Guest responded Yes"). And then, after a fashion, change the person's Marketo Program Status using the REST API.

But there's no trigger/relationship to Marketo out-of-the-box. That would be custom dev.