Re: Calculate the length of time it takes for your whole valid database to receive an email

Abaran
Level 5

Calculate the length of time it takes for your whole valid database to receive an email

hello community

I am trying to establish how long it takes for our complete database to be receive an email. This is to be able to estimate the length of time that would make sense to says :

• - if a leads bounced 3x over a 6 month period we can consider it invalid.

So the question is : is 6 months enough? Well that can be only establish if we know the length of time it takes for the full marketable database to be contacted.

Hope this is making sense

Thanks for the feedback.

Axel

4 REPLIES 4
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Calculate the length of time it takes for your whole valid database to receive an email

Axel,

If an email has hard bounced, I would not send to it again. I would not wait for 2 additional bounces to consider it invalid. There are deliverability consequences to sending to bounced email addresses. I would recommend running a soft bounce threshold where once an email has soft bounced 3 times, to consider it email invalid. I would begin the soft bounce count going forward.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Axel,

I would not set it up that way.

If it's a hard bounce, one Hard bounce is enough to marke the email as invalid and you can (should) create some smart campaigns to handle these situations when Marketo does not (Marketo only catches as invalid bounce code 550)

If it's a soft bounce, this is often a temporary situation and therefore 6 months is a far too long duration. The good practice is to say "if 2 soft bounces in a week, suspend a week, if 4 soft bounces in a month, suspend a month", using the "marketing suspended" field. If 6 soft bounces on first email after being suspended a month, then mark as invalid.

-Greg

Abaran
Level 5

Thanks Gregoire

The length of time for softbounce would be dependant on your rules on how many email can a lead receive each week. Would it not?

Axel

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Axel,

Yes, this is a good point.

-Greg