Re: Block set of leads from synching to CRM

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Block set of leads from synching to CRM

Hi there,

From Marketo, may I know how to block only a set of leads from syncing to CRM?

Kindly help.

Thanks

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Out of the box, no leads sync from Marketo to CRM.  So it's up to you to define the criteria that determines when a lead syncs to CRM. 

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me give you a bit of background of my question. Actually we have a nurture campaign and we load set of leads into it and send them email on regular intervals. We have form too, the leads would fill out form, their data will get updated in Marketo and data will sync automatically to CRM (once the data gets updated in Marketo). Am I right on this? Because I read sync is bidirectional and will happen every 5 minutes.

Thus, even if we didn't define any criteria to sync, at back-end, lead data would get synced to CRM. Please correct me if I am wrong. And I would like to know how to prevent sync for those particular leads in the nurture campaign.

Thanks

Dan_Stevens_

If the lead exists in both CRM and Marketo, then yes, the data will sync between the records regularly.  I'm referring to net-new leads that enter Marketo (e.g., form submit).  These do not automatically sync to CRM.  You have to have some sort of smart campaign/logic to do so.

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Thanks much for this information, Dan.

Those set of leads exist in both Marketo and CRM, and now we need to prevent them from sync. Kindly advise how to achieve this?

Dan_Stevens_

I don't think that's possible.  Once the linkage exists between a record in CRM and a record in Marketo, the overarching sync capabilities ensure both records are kept in-sync with one another.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Anand,

a few more details on top of Dan's points. Usually, people do not want the data to be updated by forms, because they do not want account and/or contact data to be updated. Is this what you fear ?

If so:

• If the leads in CRM are leads (SFDC) or prospects (MSD), the sync in bi-directional on all fields, but if they are contacts + accounts, only the contacts data will be updated, not the account fields.
  • If what you fear is that the data is updated from forms, you can block this in admin -> field management, then select the field and hit "field actions -> block field update". The drawback is that this will happen to all leads. Blockage will only occur when the field has a value, not if the field is empty.

-Greg

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Hi Gregoire,

Thanks for your helpful information.

I just to want to block the leads from CRM sync (Marketo to CRM), who belongs to certain campaign (Not all leads).

Wondering how to achieve this. Also not sure if this is possible.

-Anand

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Anand,

Then the only possibility to do that is to:

1. activate a sync filter on leads / contacts
  2. by defaults have all your leads being checked for syncing
  3. When you need it, uncheck the "sync with Marketo" box in Marketo. there will be a last sync, and then the sync will stop.

You just need to know that, if you want to reestablish sync, it can be done on SFDC side only. And also when you reestablish the sync, you will have a very hard tim to control what field will flow and in what direction.

Read carefully these 2 articles:

"Sync with Marketo" mysteries part 1

"Sync with Marketo" mysteries part 2

-Greg