Block Certain Records from Syncing to Salesforce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Block Certain Records from Syncing to Salesforce

I was wondering if anyone came across the same issue  with Marketo - where you would like to block certain Salesforce records from being updated from Marketo. I know that you can block an entire field from getting updated in Salesofrce, but if there was a criteria that could be set up for this.

For example, is Contact Record Type = Lawson, then Marketo will not udpate the contact record.
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Block Certain Records from Syncing to Salesforce

Hi Katina,

Have you thought about updating your SFDC sync smart campaign to have a filter that says Contact Record Type IS NOT Lawson? That might be a way that you can ensure everything but that type is syncing. Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a SF checkbox field for "not sync". Make sure it's available for Marketo. In Marketo create a smartlist for value is True. Now you can exclude members of that smartlist in sync campaigns.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to do this exact same thing and could use some extra help. How do I update the SFDC sync smart campaign? Is this within Salesforce or Marketo? I have a ton of records that should be filtered out based on things like Source = XYZ, Company = XYZ, and Lead Owner = XYZ. What do I do in Salesforce to flag these, and then how do I create a campaign within Marketo to block all of these from being in Marketo (basically our marketo database is too large and we don't need a bunch of them that are now in there.) 

Thanks for the help!
-Annie
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to do this too. I was instructed to prevent Marketo from seeing certain salesforce records incorrectly, so unfortunately, Marketo still sees everything. We do not have a SFDC sync smart campaign set up, everything just syncs. What's the best way to set that up? I need to make sure we will not exclude Marketo's access to the right records. Also, how will this affect existing records? Will it prevent Marketo from seeing records its already seen once it's activated?
Anonymous
Not applicable

In SF you need to set the rights for your Marketo user in SF. Marketo needs a rol and profile and place in the tree. Make sure Marketo has enough access to contacts, leads, accounts, and opportunities. You can limit access again by excluding contact types for instance. Your best help will be your SF admin.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diederik:

I am the Salesforce Admin. I've had our Marketo User set up since last March and it's set up correctly with all the right Salesforce permissions. There isn't an issue with Marketo not seeing anything. The issue is with Marketo seeing too much.

My need is to exclude contacts based on certain custom pick list values. We want Marketo to see records with some of those values, the rest we don't. Our Marketo consultant told me to set up salesforce sharing rules in the beginning, which I didn't think was correct. Well, as I suspected, sharing rules do not work because sharing rules are used to grant wider access, not limit it.

On Friday, I set up a Marketo smart campaign but Marketo Support stated that it would only affect new Leads, not existing ones, which defeats its purpose. Fact is, I don't believe what she stated was true though, because I'm using filters in my smart campaign, not triggers. This Marketo support person has not been helpful at all, has really been more detrimental to what I'm trying to do. I'd really like to find a Marketo support person who has a clue, but that's been quite difficult to do.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I understand that you just want to limit the fields Marketo can see for a contact? And you want to have difefrent settings depending on the type of contact? If so I can imagine this being complex.

Maybe you can define a role per contact type. Setting the read, write access per field. Next you give Marketo all those roles. This will make sure Marketo can read/write differently per contact type.

P.s. We have a combination of Roles, Profiles, and Tree. All of this though has nothing to do with Sync flows in Marketo. A sync flow step pushes a lead to an owner in SF. Auto-syncs in the background make sure field values keep matching between SF and Marketo. Every 5 minutes Marketo checks if values changed. If so it syncs those values. So these background syncs have nothing to do with "sync to salesforce" in flow steps, as these are used for new leads.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I want to limit access to certain records, not fields. That's a different setup.

For you to understand, I'll explain our setup, which is highly nonstandard, and I don't recommend it, but we had no choice. Each of our Contacts can be owned by salespeople in each of our 5 divisions. So one contact can have 1 - 5 owners in theory, but in reality, it may be 1 -3, maybe 4 different salespeople/owners owning one contact. We act very much like 5 different companies, there's almost no relationship between each of these silos.

As a result, we stopped using the traditional owner field, and I created 5 sections with 5 lookup fields that act as owner fields. Each section also has a field called Contact Type, preceded by that division's name (e.g. Dental Contact Type, Industrial Contact Type, etc.). These fields exist in both the Lead and Contact objects and they map during conversion. We convert every lead to a contact.

So, these pick lists have about 30 values in each - all basically the same values across divisions. Out of those 30 or so values, we want Marketo to only see records that have 1 of about 10 of those values, but not the rest. Of course, it gets crazy because one Division's section might have one of those values Marketo shouldn't see, but another might have one it should see. Management hoped that Marketo would only see records that had one of the 10 values, even if one of those divisions has a value it shouldn't see.

This gives me a headache just writing it.

Anyway, does that make more sense?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Karen,

It's interesting indeed. So you obviously Marketo workspaces would have been interesting for you. But let's look ahead for now. You can only limit visibility to records from the SF end.

Each contact has 5 contact-type picklists (one for each vertical). Each picklist has 30 values. If one of those 5 picklists has any of 10 defined values, Marketo should have access.

I would advise to create a 6th field (checkbox) in Salesforce. Call it "Marketo has access". In SF create a workflow to trigger on a value change of any of the 5 picklists. If the value matches any of the 10 or not, it should (un)check the new field. You could also use a formula field for this. But this requires some piece of formula code.

The Marketo profile now should be much easier, if the new checkbox is True, it has access.