Blank lead records created.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blank lead records created.

In the past two to three days, I've noticed a couple of new leads devoid of form capture data (name, email, etc.) in a program that is otherwise been working fine.  I try the form myself, and cannot submit without entering data (as expected) and when I enter data, it's captured.

As yet, I can't find any clues to the how/why these empty leads are being created. (They do have inferred company and related data... just not user input data...)

What am I missing?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Blank lead records created.

There are spam bots that often do this. There are several discussions about this:

https://community.marketo.com/solrSearchDetailPage?page=0&searchText=spam%20leads&sortby=&top_category=Discussion&get_results=true&dcategory=
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've seen this in the past, but with garbage data (not blank) in the lead fields. e.g. Xxxxyyyggggzzz

The two records I'm looking at look 'legit' in terms of the apparent source of the lead from the IP address, inferred company, etc.  Assuming these are spam leads, they are either spoofing an IP or have hijacked a resource at the inferred company(?)

Also - is there any explanation for what the spammers get out of spamming the forms? Are they the landing pages for data and other info?
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@David H no JavaScript, no validation.  Anyone running a NoScript extension or similar can submit the forms to the backend without the "requiired" fields because they aren't truly mandatory on the lead.

Nobody is spoofing IPs.  There may be malicious users behind the firewall at the inferred company, as you suggest, but it's more likely to be malfunctioning browser extensions or other security-related software (local anti-malware app stripping off data, who knows).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've applied one of the suggested tricks in the link provided by Josh.