Re: Blacklist Remediation / Issues with Email SPAM

Michael_Langell
Level 4

Blacklist Remediation / Issues with Email SPAM

Hi,

One of my clients is looking for some help with their email.  They are having issues with SPAM.  They are having trouble getting off of a blacklist - some of their IPs are continually ending up on a specific operator. They are a Gsuite shop, no MAP installed yet, they use MailChimp every so often and Outreach. I've tried a couple of things, but it has gotten to the point where they just want to talk to an expert.

Anyone have interest in helping out or sharing some things to try?

Thanks,

Mike

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Here are a few steps you can consider trying to improve their email deliverability:

• Review the Email Practices: Ensure that their email practices are compliant with anti-SPAM regulations. This includes using proper opt-in methods, providing clear unsubscribe options, and avoiding spammy content.

• Verify Reputation: Verify the reputation of their sending domains and IPs (if they're on dedicated IP) to see if they are on any public blacklists. Tools like MXToolbox or Barracuda Reputation Block List can help with this.

• Authentication and SPF/DKIM/DMARC: Set up proper email authentication using SPF (Sender Policy Framework) if you're using branded domains, DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail), and DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance). These mechanisms help prevent email spoofing and can positively impact reputation.

• Monitor Bounce and Complaint Rates: Keep an eye on bounce rates (hard and soft bounces) and email complaint rates. High rates of either can negatively impact deliverability.

• Email List Hygiene: Regularly clean email lists to remove inactive or invalid email addresses, as these can lead to higher bounce rates and SPAM complaints.

• Segmentation and Personalization: Use segmentation and personalization to send relevant content to specific audiences, which can improve engagement and reduce the risk of being flagged as SPAM.

• Review Email Content: Check the content of their emails for any spam-like elements. Avoid using misleading subject lines, or overly aggressive marketing language.

• Monitor Feedback Loops: Set up and monitor feedback loops with ISPs and email service providers to receive notifications about email complaints.

• Contact the Operator: If they are consistently ending up on a specific operator's blacklist, you should reach out to the operator to understand the reasons and work towards resolution.

Email deliverability is an ongoing process, and staying vigilant about best practices will help maintain good sender reputation

Michael_Langell
Level 4

Appreciate all the recommendations here Darshil.

I am doing most of them already.  I guess the main issue is the one blacklist they are on I am not having any luck really communicating with the operator to go into further depth as to why we keep on ending up on this single one and not any others.  

The operator as an FYI is SORBS 

http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml 

Have you ever used this application before, mail-tester.com?  This is the output that started the task.  

https://www.mail-tester.com/test-rf5yu9zfp

We do not have postmaster tools set-up for Google and I think that is the next step.

-Mike  

Darshil_Shah1

IMO SORBS is not known to have a major impact on inbox placement at MAJOR ISPs, but they are a reliable source for spam signals. If you are listed on SORBs, you are potentially mailing to spam traps within their network and should evaluate your data hygiene or collection practices. Additionally, I looked at your linked deliverability report, and apart from minor content issues and the SORBS blacklist, I think it is looking good. I'd recommend you to check out How do I get delisted? on the SORBS website.

Michael_Langell
Level 4

Hi Darshil,

Thanks again for the reply.  It is good to know that SORBs is more of a lightweight list with respect to major ISPs. 

As far as delisting goes, it is futile.  We use a shared IP with Google, and I have delisted a couple of times before, but we just get added right back the next day.  One thing I was worried about was whether someone was potentially spoofing our domain, but SORBs never really provided anything but automated replies when trying to see if they could provide further info.  

Do not think this is enough of a problem to switch to a dedicated ISP, we may just forever be on the SORBs blacklist.   

-Mike     

Darshil_Shah1

I agree with you, especially if you don't send a large volume of emails (> 100,000 emails a month), you're better off with the shared IP as you'd not be able to keep the dedicated IP warm enough with lower email volumes, which would impact your deliverability. Also, while being blacklisted can be frustrating, it's not the end of the world. Many organizations encounter this issue, and following best email practices, in general, can often help improve reputation over time. 🙂

Christiane_Rode
Level 6 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

In addition to the best practices that @Darshil_Shah1 has outlined, it's also important to note that if you're on a shared IP, your reputation is not always your own.

So, if the folks that they are sharing with don't have the best behavior, this could also lead to some issues. 

More info: Shared and Dedicated IPs 

Waseem-Khan
Level 1

Hi @Michael_Langell ,

To add on to Darshil's comment- Here is an existing thread that covers SPAM and Blacklisting in depth. 

Michael_Langell
Level 4

Not our situation, but appreciate the link.  We are not redirecting any website traffic