Re: Best way to update a custom field without using API?

Danni_Holleran
Level 3

Best way to update a custom field without using API?

Hi everyone,

Trying to figure out the best way to update a custom field in Marketo without having to resort to API which would be lethal in my hands

We have over 500 leads, and we would like to be able to update their record with 'original trial request date'

Is it possible to use a change data value and run a single flow to just update this custom field?

Thanks for any input,

Danni

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this data already in Marketo in another field? You can always use tokens if so within a smart campaign flow on the custom field.

If not, I'd take the set of leads and export out to excel. In a new column "name of custom field" match the values to your leads. When you re-upload to marketo this data will be populated no problem.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, those methods will work, assuming this is a batch fix. Use {{system.Date}} or {{system.dateTime}} depending on your need. Make sure that's a real Date field though.

You can auto update this w/o the API, assuming there is an action on the Lead like "Lead is Created via API" and then CDV: Original Trial Start = {{system.Date}}.

Danni_Holleran
Level 3

Thanks Josh!

Danni_Holleran
Level 3

Awesome stuff, thank you Tim!

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

I would either use list import if they all have individual values as Tim suggested, or a smart campaign with a change data value step if they all have the same value.

Danni_Holleran
Level 3

Cool, thanks Kenny