SOLVED

Re: Best practice to build a progressive scoring campaign?

Go to solution
Thai_Luong
Level 2

Best practice to build a progressive scoring campaign?

Hello there!

I have a very simple drip campaign that I plan on running when a user signs up for a free trial. Basically 1 email a week over the course of the month.

My question is, does anybody have any tips/best practices on how to build out a progressive scoring system using smart campaigns?  Essentially, I'd like to score users like this:

• email 1: open -1pt, click- 2pts
  • email 2: open 2pts, click - 3pts
  • email 3: open 3pts, click - 4pts
  • email 4: open 4pts, click - 5pts.

Any tips/best practices would be greatly appreciated!!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can't in good conscience tell you how to build this without also mentioning it will be useless (or worse). Mail scanners will click your links, and opens are dependent on images being enabled. 

In any case, you can create score tokens and pass them to Change Score.   2 choices:

• multiple Programs + Smart Campaigns, each of which has their own copy of the score tokens (and the tokens have exactly the same names, like {{my.Open Score}} and {{my.click Score}}).  
  • one Program and multiple Smart Campaigns, and because you have a limited surface area to cover here, the score tokens can be {{my.Open Email 1 Score}}, {{my.Open Email 2 Score}}, etc.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can't in good conscience tell you how to build this without also mentioning it will be useless (or worse). Mail scanners will click your links, and opens are dependent on images being enabled. 

In any case, you can create score tokens and pass them to Change Score.   2 choices:

• multiple Programs + Smart Campaigns, each of which has their own copy of the score tokens (and the tokens have exactly the same names, like {{my.Open Score}} and {{my.click Score}}).  
  • one Program and multiple Smart Campaigns, and because you have a limited surface area to cover here, the score tokens can be {{my.Open Email 1 Score}}, {{my.Open Email 2 Score}}, etc.
Thai_Luong
Level 2

Thanks for the heads up and suggestions @SanfordWhiteman 

I guess I'll run the scoring campaigns and see what happens.  In addition to the 2 suggestions you provided, would this logic also work?

scoring.PNG

Thanks in advance!

Tori_M_Forte
Marketo Employee

Hi Thai - yes, you can build the score changes (the +2, +3) into smart campaigns flow steps directly OR reference tokens to make the score change. Both will technically work to change the score value. The main benefit of using tokens is the ability to make changes at scale, in one place (typically on the program or local folder level).