SOLVED

Re: Best Practice Folder Structure

Go to solution
KyleacQuire
Level 2

Best Practice Folder Structure

Hello,

Brand new user to Marketo and in the process of setting up our instance. Im developing a Governance document for all facets of the program. I was wondering how people structure their folders that have solutions (B2B here) that operate in different segments. Do you combine all your campaigns for products within the same marketing activity folder or would you separate out? We have internal segments called Value Streams, and our different products sit in those streams. Each stream has different segments, buyers etc.

We develop campaigns, email etc for each of the different products but also run brand level campaigns.

What would be best seperate out top level folders for each of the streams, or seperate within the main "activity" folder?

Folder structure A

Brand
- Marketing activities
-- Emails
-- Content

Value Stream 1
- Marketing activities

-- Emails
-- Content

Folder structure B

Marketing activities
-Email
--Brand
---Brand email activity
-- Value Stream 1
--- Value stream 2 email activity
-- Value Stream 2
---Value stream 2 email activity

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

I like the 2nd folder structure a bit more as it starts with a single Marketing Activities folder at the highest level, and breaks it per the channel (email ) and the sub-divisions (value system and brand within). I think having a single Marketing Activities folder would be better instead of having a separate one for each of the brand/value systems as that’s how Marketo has folders structured OOTB (I.e., one highest level of Marketing Activities folder and then broken down by channels/initiatives). Make sure you follow a proper, consistent, and complete naming convention for naming your programs and assets within them so it's easier to search and manage. Also, regularly Archive off your programs and assets when they become obsolete. For your reference, the “Archive” folder is a special kind of folder that is designed to remove items from select lists as well as reporting. This will help your system run quicker. Learn more about folders.

Check out this Experience League article on Best Practice: How to Organize your Programs. It has some real tips for organizing Marketo programs and folder structure. Hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1

I like the 2nd folder structure a bit more as it starts with a single Marketing Activities folder at the highest level, and breaks it per the channel (email ) and the sub-divisions (value system and brand within). I think having a single Marketing Activities folder would be better instead of having a separate one for each of the brand/value systems as that’s how Marketo has folders structured OOTB (I.e., one highest level of Marketing Activities folder and then broken down by channels/initiatives). Make sure you follow a proper, consistent, and complete naming convention for naming your programs and assets within them so it's easier to search and manage. Also, regularly Archive off your programs and assets when they become obsolete. For your reference, the “Archive” folder is a special kind of folder that is designed to remove items from select lists as well as reporting. This will help your system run quicker. Learn more about folders.

Check out this Experience League article on Best Practice: How to Organize your Programs. It has some real tips for organizing Marketo programs and folder structure. Hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions.

KyleacQuire
Level 2

Thanks for the help

Darshil_Shah1

You’re welcome! Glad to be of help.