Best banner size for emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best banner size for emails

We are planning on having our ad agency create a banner for an upcoming email campaign we will be pushing out. Any suggestions on banner size?
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best banner size for emails

Generally the width of marketing emails (and therefore your banner) should be no greater than 650px in order to display correctly on most email clients. Ideally you'd have the raw image dimensions set exactly to your maximums, as there is no quality loss when scaling an image down via code, but there is when attempting to stretch an image.

You also want to aim for a filesize of under 100kb, and use a standard file format of course! (jpg, png, gif). 

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

we use 640/205

0EM50000000RLYB.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kelly, If you're using an email templete it is 600 pixels wide for a banner, which is average viewing for most email programs. For better viewing, you can use a 10-12 pixel padding on left and rigfht side. Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Kelly,
Due to the amount of emails now opened on mobile, I would personally steer clear of using a fixed width banner.

Instead, I look at how you can display the same information in text, background colour and placed images to create the illusion of the banner in a table row that can fluidly resize based on the size of the screen the recipient is reading your email on. 

Cheers,
Bec
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree--600-650px is a good size to be compatible with the preview pane in most email clients. Also, I would only go with .jpg or .gif for file format--Lotus notes doesn't support .png.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Should we go with a similar size to put on the landing page? Or should that banner be larger? I appreciate all of the help!
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can go with a larger banner resolution for LPs as you don't have to worry about filesize/dimensional restrictions that email clients impose. If simply working with a LP using absolute values, you can go with something like 960px which is fairly standard and should look acceptable in most resolutions.

If your LP is coded more responsively however, you can afford to aim higher, safe in the knowledge that your web-code will always ensure a good fit for the user's screen resolution. Here's a good article on responsive web design.

Whichever way you go about implementing your banner, always test thoroughly on multiple devices. Consider testing a couple different image sizes to compare which looks best overall.

Hope that helps in some way!