Re: Behaviour of cloned emails in nurture?

Shelly_Wilson1
Level 1

Behaviour of cloned emails in nurture?

For about 2 years we've been running post-event nurture campaigns for different but similar events using the same tofu, mofu and bofu content. As leads have taken part in multiple events, to prevent leads who'd have seen the content in recent past from seeing same content again, I've been using logic in the campaigns to try to exclude, or split the streams so they're only put in to the stream with the few pieces of brand new content. But as time goes on this is getting more complex.

Would re-using/cloning emails from earlier nurture be a better solution? I know that when you re-use an email from the Design Studio in an engagement program, the asset is scanned for its ID, and if that asset has been previously sent to a lead via any other send, the engagement program will skip that send for that record. Is the behaviour the same if you re-use from another nurture?

5 REPLIES 5
Tracey_Bartz1
Level 5

Would re-using/cloning emails from earlier nurture be a better solution?

Re-using an email and cloning an email will behave in different ways. 

A cloned email has its own asset ID and is therefore treated as a brand-new asset. If we assume you are cloning an email and placing the new email in the same program where the original email is used, this means that a person who  received the original email would still be able to receive the new clone.

Re-using an email from another program in an engagement program adds a bit more complexity to the decision whether or not to send it. The decision is based on the person's program membership in the program where the email resides. The chart on this doc walks through the different possible scenarios: Avoid Sending Duplicate Content - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation  

Shelly_Wilson1
Level 1

Thanks for that, Tracey. The doc is a little confusing with all the default of the default defaultiness, but I THINK I understand it

In my case, I'm re-using an email from Nurture engagement program A in new Nurture engagement program B. So if I've interpreted the doc correctly, I think that means:
–if a lead was a member of A and received the email in past as part of the nurture AND is ALSO a member of new B, they will not receive email again.
–But if they were NOT a member of A, they will get the email as part of B.

Which is what I want to happen

Tracey_Bartz1
Level 5

Your interpretation is correct.

Oz_Platero
Level 6

–if a lead was a member of A and received the email in past as part of the nurture AND is ALSO a member of new B, they will not receive email again.

** Correct
–But if they were NOT a member of A, they will get the email as part of B.

** Maybe.  The engagement program B will look to other places as well. If this is the only place the email has ever lived, then yes you are correct.

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello Shelly Wilson‌,

You may also want to explore creating a status of Excluded for the the nested programs.  Then create a smart campaign per nested program to find the criteria you are looking for such as was sent email x,y,z, etc.  Then in a flow steps add to  the nested program with status = Excluded.

This way you can leverage the smart list capabilities of nested programs and mimic a cadence without getting skips.