Re: Automating Channel Progressions Globally

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automating Channel Progressions Globally

I recently updated my channel tags/statuses. Is it possible to automate status progression movement on a global level? For instance, Sent email > opened email > clicked email  >downloaded content. On a program level, I could create a smart campaign that moves each member throughout as needed, but the idea that I'd have to do this every single time I create a program seems to defeat the purpose of creating the tags. Marketo support did not have a suggestion as to how I can do this on a global level, but I'm hoping someone else may have an idea. Any help would be appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Stephen,

The problem is that a lead can be in multiple programs, even within the same channel.  So you could set up a single smart campaign that triggers from a lead opening an email of clicking a link, but then there isn't any way to automatically specify which program their status should be changed in.

What I would suggest instead is setting up a master template for a program type you think you'll be using again and again.  You could have the smart campaigns in the template, and then clone the master each time you needed a new program of that type.  This will automatically have some of the options set for you in the cloned smart campaigns.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the suggestion John. I am betting that's what I'll have to do. Appreciate your help!

Steve

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Program Templates are a best practice because you can also setup My Tokens to prefill in parts of each Asset instead of editing each one with the same data over and over.

Justin_Norris1

Agreed, fully tokenized program templates save about 90% of the campaign ops work you need to do in Marketo! Stephen Schimmel​ Then you can basically clone the template, activate smart campaigns, update tokens, and you're good to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again Josh, Justin and John. Helpful suggestions.

So I am building out master templates for each type of program, and I am starting with the basic email program. I am trying to automate status updates/progressions for each of the program types, and I am starting with email using the following channel statuses (Sent Email, Opened Email, Clicked Link In Email, Downloaded Content).

My question is what token can I use to autofill the correct email (so I don't have to pick the individual name of the email that I want to use in my smart list every time I clone the program)?

Dan_Stevens_

Stephen, you cannot use tokens for asset names (like emails).  Leave these fields blank in your program templates. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dan,

So below is a copy of the smart campaign I set up to update statuses? Is this the best way you know of to get this done? Essentially I'd have to update the email name in the filters for each program going forward.

pastedImage_2.png

Dan_Stevens_

Stephen, it's often a best practice to create separate smart campaigns for each program status or type of behavior.  At least in our case, we do a lot of additional processing of data beyond just changing the program status.  This would just be far too complex - and sometimes impossible - if we used a single campaign with a bunch of choices.  Here's what a sample program template looks like in our instance:

pastedImage_0.png

Justin_Norris1

Stephen Schimmel

Asset references to child assets in programs are relative and dynamic by default. So when you clone the program, the asset gets cloned with it and the reference to the local asset is also updated to refer to the asset that is local the newly cloned program.

If you are referring to a global asset outside the program, that will remain static.

Either way you can create the template pointing to the assets you want and when you clone, everything will be cool. Zero updates to smart campaigns in most scenarios.