Re: Automatically create opportunities in Salesforce via Marketo

Alexis_D_Alba1
Level 5

Automatically create opportunities in Salesforce via Marketo

hey there! I've never created an opportunity in salesforce via marketo-- is this possible.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Well, it's not really possible in the sense that Marketo cannot create or write opportunities, but what you can do is use Salesforce's APEX triggers and a field you change in Marketo to achieve the same effect. There's a very basic example on Salesforce's community, though this would need to be altered to handle a field change vs. changes on an existing opportunity.

This really gets into "custom work" territory, so it may be more prudent to send a Salesforce task to a salesperson to create an opportunity upon certain activities in Marketo if you're on a tight budget.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Courtney and Alexis,

pay attention to the fact that creating an opportunity from a contact is more complex than the example trigger. And creating an opportunity from a lead is even much more very complex as you will need to convert the lead first, which is very difficult to do from Marketo, because of the potential need to merge with an existing account (and even with an existing contact, although we may hope that if we have lead in Marketo, it's because we do not have a contact with the same email).

So I would avoid that and run for Courtney's idea of sending a task to someone. May be this is a task that marketing ops could handle.

-Greg

Alexis_D_Alba1
Level 5

Thank you both! I think sending a task is the way to go.