Auto form submission from an Email CTA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto form submission from an Email CTA

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a way (any JavaScript) where if someone clicks the CTA from an email campaign if they are known, to have a form submission (filled out form activity) once they hit a landing page without any further action taken by the user?

Thanks,

Jack

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Auto form submission from an Email CTA

Certainly... but I can't recommend you do this because a mail scanner may follow this link and execute the JS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Sanford,

Thanks for your response, would it be possible to email me the JS directly and explain how that process would work?

Thanks,

Jack

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Jack Gevon​,

Can you not just have a smart campaign listening with the trigger "Clicks link in Email" ? Then when they click the link you can carry out whatever action you would have if they had filled out the form.

Thanks,

Gerard

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I’m with Gerard here - what’s the purpose of the form submit if you already know who the person is?  Better off just changing appropriate data values within the lead record.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Gerard and Dan,

Actually, as simply as the idea is I do see the point. I think what I would need to do is to explicitly explain to the user that by clicking the CTA they agree to whatever our terms and conditions are in other words a disclaimer.

Thanks,

Jack

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Jack Gevon​,

I would say that if you are getting them to agree to terms and conditions you would really need to have links to the terms and conditions, plus I may be wrong on this but I think you would really need to have check boxes for those that will have the value stored in the database along with the activity log of them actually checking that box.  That can only be done on a new form, but you could use progressive profiling so you are not asking them to fill out the same fields again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Gerard,

Yes, that is correct I will have a link to the terms and conditions. However, I don't believe I would need them to confirm the action with a checkbox. What I am intending to do is to include an asterisks in the CTA, which has a disclaimer that reads "By clicking the ‘Request a copy’ button you agree to be contacted to receive........ and accept our T&Cs."

Since everyone on our database has already opted in (checked a box previously) to accept our communications I don't think this is required again.

Thanks,

Jack

Loren_Posendek
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I agree with Gerard and Dan, as well. If the person is known, it seems as though you just need to an action to trigger a flow. Since bots tend to 'click' emails, I may also suggest using the 'Visited Web Page' filter within your smart list in addition to the 'Clicks link in Email' trigger. The inverse of this could be 'Visits Web Page' trigger with the 'Clicked Link in Email' smart list filter.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Since bots tend to 'click' emails, I may also suggest using the 'Visited Web Page' filter within your smart list in addition to the 'Clicks link in Email' trigger.

The VWP occurs chronologically after (in wall time) the Clicked Email so this wouldn't work, er, even if it worked.

However neither of these methods actually work with Marketo. The granularity and synchronization simply is not there with Munchkin and the branding server, sorry to say.

Also, thorough mail scanners also load JS in a sandbox.  That's why Jack's idea in itself is still dangerous w/r/t scanners -- otherwise, it wouldn't have any risks.