Re: Audit Trail and deleting users

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Audit Trail and deleting users

I have yet to test, but wanted to ask Christina Fuentealba​, or others if they know the answer to this question:

When deleting a user in Users & Roles, will Audit Trail retain the name/email of the actions previously performed by this user, or must the user record be present?

I ask because a known "hack" prior to Audit Trail was to keep the user account, but resent the password so that the summary on any Programs, Smart Campaigns, etc. would 'keep' the user's name as originally created by or last created or updated by this person.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Geoff,

Very good question, but should be posted to "Products", not to the Campions Group

-Greg

Geoff_Krajeski1

AH, great point!  I shall change

Dan_Stevens_

Nice hack, Geoff.  Although, over time, wouldn't this quickly exceed the number allowable users in your subscription?  What I would like to see Marketo do is provide a way to "deactivate" a user - like many other cloud platforms provide - so that all historical data is retained, while removing a user from the number of active users (which affect the subscription).

Geoff_Krajeski1

Shhhh, don't get me / us in trouble

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan,

You can in fact deactivate a user: just set an end date to his/her subscription. But the doc (Managing Marketo Users - Marketo Docs - Product Docs ) does not says whether or not a locked account counts against the licence.

See When a User has passed the access expiration date, does he/she counts as an active user (against the...

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

I just played around with it and curiously enough, I can see some users that were deleted back in June, but can't see the users that were deleted earlier this month. Weird.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Andy,

Can you elaborate on what you're seeing? Is it that you see audit data for users that were supposed to have been deleted back in June? All deleted user history would be in the "Admin Audit Trail" similar to this screenshot.

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 2.00.07 PM.png

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Not quite, I can see them in the list of users. I can't see the users deleted more recently though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Audit trail will keep history of deleted user's actions up to 6 months. In the "User" filter, all deleted users will still be listed there with the word "deleted" next to their name. Results will load based on that user record so you can see what that person did prior them being deleted.

That said, this is in effect as of mid Sept, so anything prior will not show up...There is a weirdness happening (which I'm looking into) where the results show the deleted user's name as "Unknown" where as in the filter, we do list their full name.

Let me know if this answers your question.