Associating cookies to leads in our database without using a form

Raheel_Rashid
Level 1

Associating cookies to leads in our database without using a form

Hi all!

I was wondering if we could associate cookies to leads in our database without the lead filling out a form. We recently removed most of our forms from our website. We are adding leads to our database via events/tradeshows. When these leads visit our website, they are showing as anonymous leads in our reports. The report will show the country and company name, but it will not show the leads name and email address. Is there a way to cookie these leads in our database that visit our website, so we know who is visiting without the lead having to fill out a form or clicking a link in an email?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks!

Raheel

3 REPLIES 3
akande-davis
Level 1

Re: Associating cookies to leads in our database without using a form

Hey Raheel,

In theory, I believe there is a way to leverage a form with hidden fields to 'recapture' new visitors, but in order to associate web activity to a specific Lead ID, you either need the Form Fill or a Link Click from an Email. The Company Name and Country are liking being pulled from the available information around the anonymous record such as IP address, but nothing that would be actionable to a specific Lead.

A similar question was asked about a year ago in this Marketo Nation thread that might be useful, but again not super helpful from a the standpoint of never having captured these records via a Form or Email activity.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

We are adding leads to our database via events/tradeshows. When these leads visit our website, they are showing as anonymous leads in our reports.

How are leads visiting your website? If you aren't sending a Marketo email, you don't have a way of associating.

I was wondering if we could associate cookies to leads in our database without the lead filling out a form.

In most cases, no, a person has to send your systems something while they are browsing so you can get their current identifying cookie, it doesn't have to be via a Marketo form.

Anything else is short of me going to your company's website and you're expecting to know who I am.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I assume the only reason you’re saying “these leads visit your website” is that the geo IP lookup matches their company. As Jay and Akande note, that doesn’t get you close enough to knowing their email address. You would have to be 100% sure that all visits from that IP had that human behind the keyboard, which is impossible.