Are utm parameters stored at the program level?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are utm parameters stored at the program level?

Hi,

Can someone clarify for me if utm parameters are stored at the program level or lead level. 

I would like to pull reports on events and see where all the leads came from for that individual event.  If I'm running numerous events and leads have signed up for more than one do the utm parameters stay unique to each event or do they live at the lead level? I'm worried the latest utm parameters get pulled from the lead level into the members tab across all events.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Are utm parameters stored at the program level?

They are stored at the lead/person level.  Anything you want to do with UTM parameters must be customized in your environment (e.g., creating hidden UTM fields on your forms so that the values are stored each time someone converts) - as there is no native UTM feature built into Marketo.

You might be interested in this excellent post by Erik Heldebro :

First, Last and Multi Touch attribution for UTM parameters and auto tagging emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dan,

They are added into all the forms as hidden fields. I wanted to confirm that if they are filled in this way they are kept unique to that event form/event?

Thanks

Dan_Stevens_

Since they are just fields in Marketo, they are at risk from being overwritten on future conversions.  Which is why we have deployed the approach contained in the blog post that I recommended.  Individual event/campaign attribution is another reason why most people create dedicated programs for each marketing activity/channel they want to track.

Here are what the fields look like in our environment.  We have FT, MT and LT fields for each of the UTM parameters.  And then a UTM history field (which is a running history - never overwritten - for each form conversion).

pastedImage_0.png

Darrell_Alfons2

In addition to Dan's response, you can also create a Salesforce campaign for each channel and store the leads that way. So for that single asset, you can run a salesforce campaign report (campaign with campaign members) and then campaign name contains "name of report". Then group by campaign name and you will see how many downloads you received per channel for this asset.

Dan_Stevens_

It sure would be nice to sync to CRM campaigns. We use MS Dynamics, where that feature is not available.