Re: Anyone using the Marketo API for data personalization in SundaySky videos?

Merrisa_Brown
Level 2

Anyone using the Marketo API for data personalization in SundaySky videos?

Hi all!

Is anyone else using SundaySky's new data connector for Marketo? They launched it in May, and I set it up for our SundaySky instance. I believe it's communicating, because I was able to map all our fields, but when I sent a test email with a test video with personalization in it, it doesn't work. (I was previously able to pass Marketo data to SundaySky using URL parameters, but we'd prefer to use the API. Marketo is already a vetted/approved system by our IT department, and this way SundaySky doesn't store a duplicate set of data or provide PII in URLs.)

Here's the product documentation, if it helps: https://help.sundaysky.com/hc/en-us/articles/18535320453277-Using-Adobe-Marketo-Engage-to-Connect-Da...

Thanks for any insight!

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, haven’t used it and there isn’t a trial version to try stuff out. But I‘d caution against certain assumptions here.

First, their implementation has a trivial DoS vulnerability. If it’s making a Marketo REST API call for every video view, any mildly skilled person can exhaust your daily API call limit and/or point-in-time limit. That isn’t fit for production IMO.

Second, while they may claim to not store PII after a connection closes — which is why the vuln above is so apparent — they’re still sending + receiving unencrypted PII via their servers. So in the event those servers are hacked they can be used to hijack your PII. Of course, every service connecting to the REST API has this same problem! But we caution against framing them as somehow “not processing PII” simply because they don’t deliberately save it to a database.

Merrisa_Brown
Level 2

Thanks for those insights, Sanford! I'll ask about those.