SOLVED

Re: Any Issues with Renaming Channel Status in Actively Used Channel

Go to solution
Liz_Nguyen1
Level 2

Any Issues with Renaming Channel Status in Actively Used Channel

If I have an actively used Channel and wanted to rename some of the Channel/Progression Statuses, would that cause any issues?

The values would still mean the same as the original but would like to rename to have clearer progression status labels.

We do have trigger campaigns setup looking at if program status is changed so wanted to better understand if we renamed some of the statuses, 1) would the trigger campaign inherit the new name and 2) would people with the legacy status re-trigger the campaign because their status would be changed to the new renamed version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The Program Status is assigned based on the Status ID, not the Status Name. You do not have to worry about the person qualifying for anything, because the ID is not changing. Good time to read this post from last week:

Why you can’t copy Program Status names

from textbox to textbox in Admin » Channels

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Renaming actively used channel progression statuses requires careful consideration, especially regarding your campaigns and smart lists. Here's what you need to know. Campaigns based on old status names won't automatically update to new ones. This means they might not fire existing users whose status gets renamed, creating inconsistencies. Additionally, if your programs are syncing with an SFDC campaign (using flow step based sync), then it probably will break if you still attempt to use that status in an older flow. You'd also have to change the campaign statuses in the SFDC.

Liz_Nguyen1
Level 2

@Darshil_Shah1 - thank you for the information.

It's a limited number of programs using this current channel. As part of QA we would double check the current trigger campaigns and update them to the newly renamed status so the trigger is still operating. Was worried if someone was currently in the program with status of ex: ABC and we update it to ABCD, would their program status auto-update to ABCD and would that cause a re-fire of the trigger campaign. Or will they just remain still in the program with the newly name status and trigger campaign doesn't fire. Trying to understand if their current status would change to new status and would that re-fire the trigger even though it's not exactly a program status change, but wasn't sure how Marketo-side would recognize it as a status change or not.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

The Program Status is assigned based on the Status ID, not the Status Name. You do not have to worry about the person qualifying for anything, because the ID is not changing. Good time to read this post from last week:

Why you can’t copy Program Status names

from textbox to textbox in Admin » Channels

Liz_Nguyen1
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman I am always enlightened by your responses and help. Thank you!

I read the post from your link and looks like based on your explanation, if each channel status is associated with a Status ID and I am not copying from one value to another, if I were to rename it that shouldn't cause anything to re-fire because the status is still the same . Just the friendly label is different so people with the old status would just be shown as member of program with my newly renamed status. Would that also mean that in my trigger campaigns that reference program status is changed would be updated to the new label?

Is my understanding of all this correct? Thanks again - really appreciate it!

SanfordWhiteman

Would that also mean that in my trigger campaigns that reference program status is changed would be updated to the new label?

Yes, they will be updated automatically.

The underlying reference is to the Status ID, not the Name.

The only place you have to worry about Name changes not being reflected is where — for whatever reason — the Name is not browse-able in a dropdown, i.e. you’re hard-coding the Name as a string. Anywhere the Name can be selected in a dropdown, the actual reference is to the ID.