SOLVED

Re: Any Email Heatmap Tool?

Go to solution
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Any Email Heatmap Tool?

I know this was in Marketo Roadmap for 2014 but I don't think this came back. Is there any tool which can help us generate heatmaps for email?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have RCE, you can get much of the email data.

You won't get a click heat map, however. I would consider running your data through another tool or perhaps just using Link Perf Report to construct a rough map. I wrote about this type of report in the original Marketo Guide.

But honestly, what are you really hoping to do with this? There is already a ton of free data showing eye tracking and most common areas people are drawn to on an email. And the heatmap will really just reflect your design, rather than what people do. Your design should take advantage of what people do.

Email principles are more powerful:

• Keep critical info in the Subject Line and top 1/3 of email so that people will see the preview.
  • Date, Time, Location can be in the subject for events. Repeat it throughout the email.
  • Post map info in the email too.
  • Get the point quickly.
  • use images sparingly and with ALT tags
  • avoid HTML colors
  • Repeat the CTA as a button and as Text at least twice.
  • supposedly pix of presenters help.
  • stop using those giant top banner images with no info. No one likes those.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Alok,

Not quite a heatmap, but email link performance reports can already provide some information, don't you think ?

-Greg

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Having a visual of the interactions provides a greater and more accurate insight than looking at rows of data. I have printed out emails and manually typed the clicks to these emails. Mainly it was for our newsletter where we will provide 6 recent content pieces. It provided a great insight on the placement and type of the content that got consistent traffic. It would be a time saver to get this time of report.  

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Looks like it is still at the voting process under ideas

https://nation.marketo.com/ideas/7320#comment-17169

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have RCE, you can get much of the email data.

You won't get a click heat map, however. I would consider running your data through another tool or perhaps just using Link Perf Report to construct a rough map. I wrote about this type of report in the original Marketo Guide.

But honestly, what are you really hoping to do with this? There is already a ton of free data showing eye tracking and most common areas people are drawn to on an email. And the heatmap will really just reflect your design, rather than what people do. Your design should take advantage of what people do.

Email principles are more powerful:

• Keep critical info in the Subject Line and top 1/3 of email so that people will see the preview.
  • Date, Time, Location can be in the subject for events. Repeat it throughout the email.
  • Post map info in the email too.
  • Get the point quickly.
  • use images sparingly and with ALT tags
  • avoid HTML colors
  • Repeat the CTA as a button and as Text at least twice.
  • supposedly pix of presenters help.
  • stop using those giant top banner images with no info. No one likes those.
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And also :

• [in order to increase Open rates, not click rates ] : Make sure then very first line in the email is not " if you cannot read...". Put this on the second line and have some thing that makes business sense on the first. It will show on outlook and gmail just beneath the subject
  • Prefer HTML buttons to image buttons (Less images, always show, even when images are turned off)
  • Have the 2 CTAs Josh is talking about to sit one close to the top and the other close to the bottom, so that lead reduces need for scrolling, especially on mobile devices
  • Rescale the images before putting them in the email so that they have the exact size you want (Optimizing download time vs resolution tradeoff)
  • Keep the subject under 60 chars...
  • Do not confuse you audience with multiple CTAs for different offers. Distraction kills conversion.

-Greg