SOLVED

Re: Another "New to Marketo" Post - What Should I Do Next?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another "New to Marketo" Post - What Should I Do Next?

I've completed the set up, the quick wins, Foundation, and have set up my templates and first full program. I'll be testing all this next of course - not launching until after Labor Day (and boy, am I nervous!)

But, what do I do NOW?
  1. Convert existing forms to Marketo?
  2. Set up some reports?
  3. Set up lead scoring? Just import something from the library to start with? Then talk to my sales team to adjust?
  4. Set up Sales Insights?
What's your best tips for what to do after getting started, and if you could include some resources, great 🙂

Thank you!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

To monitor your marketo database, look at your leads database and and see how many leads you currently have and know what your database limit is, and how much you want to grow it.  One of our biggest mistakes when we started out, we had every contact record sync from SFDC to Marketo, including missing emails and bad emails. So we quickly reached our database limit with useless records.  

If you're the administrator, figure out what you want to do with the invalid emails, and inactive records and decide on a period when it's good to purge.  

Check the system smart list in the leads database to check on the possible number of duplicate records you might have and merge either in Marketo or from your CRM. 

You might also want to create a subscription or preference center, so your leads can decide which emails they want to receive or not.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

I think lead scoring will get you some of the best bang for your buck... And it will help get people excited about Marketo quickly!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything that benefits the sales team. If you can get them on your side and behind the Marketo initiative, you'll be golden. Lead scoring is great as Dory mentioned...as is Marketo Sales Insight, proper routing of website leads, etc. Good luck!
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

Lead scoring, lead life cycle campaigns, set up some reports for email performance and web activity report to start out, if that's what you need to track.  

Monitor the health of your Marketo database. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. Lead scoring it the next big thing then.

Is it correct that I have to add a Demo and Behavioral Score field in SFDC now for both Leads/Contacts?

Would you recommend I just import program template from the library, and start from there? 

Anyone care to share their lead scoring formulas?

What are some best practices for monitoring the health of my Marketo database?

Thanks everyone!
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

To monitor your marketo database, look at your leads database and and see how many leads you currently have and know what your database limit is, and how much you want to grow it.  One of our biggest mistakes when we started out, we had every contact record sync from SFDC to Marketo, including missing emails and bad emails. So we quickly reached our database limit with useless records.  

If you're the administrator, figure out what you want to do with the invalid emails, and inactive records and decide on a period when it's good to purge.  

Check the system smart list in the leads database to check on the possible number of duplicate records you might have and merge either in Marketo or from your CRM. 

You might also want to create a subscription or preference center, so your leads can decide which emails they want to receive or not.