SOLVED

Re: Analyzing engagement scores

Go to solution
Sandrine_Meilla
Level 1

Analyzing engagement scores

Hello

I would like to analyze the results of my engagement programs based on engagement scores.

But to do that, I need to know what is a good engagement score and how to compare several engagement scores?

Could you help me?

Thank you

Sandrine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The engagement score is an index based on all marketo customers' open and click rates.

Over 50 means that you are doing better than 50% of customers.

Under 50 means you are doing worse than 50% of customers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13

The engagement score is an index based on all marketo customers' open and click rates.

Over 50 means that you are doing better than 50% of customers.

Under 50 means you are doing worse than 50% of customers.

Stephanie_Beal
Level 1

Hi Josh - did Marketo ever confirm if the engagement score was produced based off of ALL Marketo customers or on the Account level?

Dan_Stevens_

I'm pretty sure it's all customers

Stephanie_Beal
Level 1

Kim_Allen
Level 10

Exactly what Josh said!

So I always take it with a grain of salt and make my own benchmarks. Because the industries of these customers you're being compared to could vary a lot.

Kim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sandrine,

Marketo engagement scores are based off more than just opens and clicks. According to their product document (Understanding the Engagement Score - Marketo Docs - Product Docs), "the score is based on a proprietary algorithm which takes into account engaged behavior (Open, Click, Program Success) and disengaged behavior (Unsubscribe)." Unfortunately Marketo does not give full transparency on the actual calculation used so we can't fully understand how accurate it is.

When our team has analyzed the email nurture data ourselves we've found that significantly better performing emails were getting lower engagement scores. We think this is because of a slightly higher unsubscribe rate, however, these emails performed so much better that the (very) slight increase wasn't a concern. If we had used the scores from Marketo we would have killed some great performing emails. I would recommend using your own email performance measures for now.

Good luck!

Julie