SOLVED

Allow contacts to update their records in Marketo

Go to solution
SusanHoward
Level 1

Allow contacts to update their records in Marketo

We built out subscription center using the Marketo provided template. We want to give users the access to change their subscription preferences  as well as let them see what we have on file and correct/update name, title, email, etc. that isn't correct.  How do we let leads/contacts see and update their contact info? I have been reading through product documentation and googling and haven't found anyone discussing this. Maybe I am using the wrong search terms (which I used variations of my title)? 

I only found one thing similar but it was a "Is this you" and tied to an email send. Is this doable on a form?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Allow contacts to update their records in Marketo

"Form Pre-Fill" is what you want to search for.

Note that allowing self-service updates of all fields is not always good practice.

Instead, have dedicated proxy fields like Self-Service Phone Number etc. on the form. Then you can conditionally overwrite the primary fields, using Change Data Value, only after manual inspecting the proposed changes. Sales may want to be involved as they don't want someone mangling carefully curated data.

In fact, you must use the proxy field approach to allow people to update the system Email Address field. You can't just have them change the value for the Email Address input, as that will create a new lead — opposite of what you want.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"Form Pre-Fill" is what you want to search for.

Note that allowing self-service updates of all fields is not always good practice.

Instead, have dedicated proxy fields like Self-Service Phone Number etc. on the form. Then you can conditionally overwrite the primary fields, using Change Data Value, only after manual inspecting the proposed changes. Sales may want to be involved as they don't want someone mangling carefully curated data.

In fact, you must use the proxy field approach to allow people to update the system Email Address field. You can't just have them change the value for the Email Address input, as that will create a new lead — opposite of what you want.

SusanHoward
Level 1

Thank you, this is very helpful.  We do have buy in from Sales, etc.

We are working to satisfy GDRP --- which states "Do your best to keep data up to date by putting a data quality process in place, and make it easy for your customers to view (Article 15) and update their personal information for accuracy and completeness. Make sure you can verify the identity of the person requesting the data. You should be able to comply with requests under Article 16 within a month"