Re: Advice on From Addresses for Marketo emails

ForeignPolicy
Level 1

Advice on From Addresses for Marketo emails

Hello,

In setting up our instance to ensure email deliverability, we are looking into using an email subdomain, such as email.example.com, for outbound emails from Marketo. Is this a critical step in setting up a successful Marketo instance? 

If so, what are the best practices for using a new email subdomain as the "From address"? Should we create a central email address on that subdomain, like user@email.example.com?  Or should we create a number of emails, such as specific.user@email.example.com?  

Any further documentation outside of the Setup Outline would be appreciated, as we use Google for our email and I noticed it mentions needing an abuse@ and postmaster@ email in order for an email domain to work in Marketo, which seems to require extra steps for Google users. 

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

In setting up our instance to ensure email deliverability, we are looking into using an email subdomain, such as email.example.com, for outbound emails from Marketo. Is this a critical step in setting up a successful Marketo instance?

No, it's not critical.

It can help with certain administrative tasks. For example, if you use a reply tracking service (not Marketo) then it's a lot easier to set things up if the replies you care about are routed to a special domain.

It will not — and I cannot stress this enough as it's a common misconception — help you evade blacklists/blocklists. Blacklist providers will include the shortest private suffix (example.com) and all subdomains. They're not stupid! 🙂

Any further documentation outside of the Setup Outline would be appreciated, as we use Google for our email and I noticed it mentions needing an abuse@ and postmaster@ email in order for an email domain to work in Marketo, which seems to require extra steps for Google users. 

Yes, the SMTP RFC (= standard) requires that any domain accept mail for a set of built-in addresses. In years past, you could be blocked if your domain became known as not accepting such mail. It's not enforced much in the wild anymore.

JeffHensiek
Level 2

Question for the group. 

Where would we find the "From" email address in our Marketo account?  I'm looking to get a handle on the different emails addresses that we use inside of Marketo to send emails.  Where would I find that list of email addresses?

Jeff

Jeff Hensiek
Marketing Automation Program Manager
SanfordWhiteman

There isn’t one central place to see the values in use.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@JeffHensiek ,

These are stored against each email.

Other than getting all emails via the API (see my other email on the topic), and running a quick report over the top of that data, I'm not aware of a way of doing this through the UI.

BTW - There is a tool that someone referenced a while back that seems like it is good for getting all the details from Marketo via the API.  It's name escapes me right now.

BTW2 - You'll find a number of us here have already built solutions for getting all this data (I know I have, and we've deployed it for a couple of clients).  

Cheers

Jo

SanfordWhiteman

There’s actually no way to get the data reliably, period, API or not. If it’s generated by Velocity tokens, or by implicitly dynamic {{lead.tokens}}, it’s not a value you can read.

Even if it’s generated by seemingly static Text {{my.tokens}} those have to be read separately using the Programs Asset API.
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@SanfordWhiteman,

true enough. 

You'd at least get your static "from addresses" though, and a reference to the tokens (for {{my.token}}), which as you've noted come from program assets.

for MOST people, that'd get them close (and at least the others can be reported on as something to dig deeper into)

Cheers

Jo

JeffHensiek
Level 2

Thanks all for the discussion...  

Jeff Hensiek
Marketing Automation Program Manager