Re: Adjusting PC display to 125% breaks email design but only from Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adjusting PC display to 125% breaks email design but only from Marketo

I am testing an email template in Marketo and I have a consistent bug wherein if my (PC Lenovo) display is set to 125%  my text increases, but the image does not. Hence, the table breaks and the email displays incorrectly.

However, when the same HTML email is sent from LItmus, the email looks fine. I am viewing the email in Outlook 13 in both cases. Can anyone offer insight? Why would it break in Marketo but not when sent from a different ESP? What might be the problem? So far Marketo tech support has been unhelpful.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to post an update to this issue. Marketo has now acknowledged that this is a known bug. This has been incredibly troublesome for my organization and now we finally know why. This has huge impact for us since our user base is Outlook and our organization is on Outlook. It's disappointing that the fix has not been accelerated.

From Marketo Support:

This is a known bug in
Marketo that strips the code

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"

xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"

xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">

from the email and causes the behavior you are seeing. The fix for this bug is
scheduled in August 2015.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carey,

I am having this same problem! I know Marketo is working on it but while they are... have you found a work around? Or a template that isn't being corrupted and helps keep the alignment?

Let me know!

ngm@lavante.com

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

See related discussions below.  Last I heard, it won't be until October that this may be fixed (but at least it has gotten the attention of the engineers and a fix will be coming).

Re: Prevent conditional comments being stripped out in email template?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Please see this thread:

Marketo Removing Code for Image Scaling for Outlook at 125%dpi

We have resolved this issue and can enable the fix for your subscription if you're interested. Please see the comments in the idea above for more details.

Dan_Stevens_

I just finished testing... AND IT WORKS!!!!  Thanks so much, Justin!  BTW, it's not just the DOCTYPE that caused the issues, but Marketo was also stripping the xmlns definitions within the <HTML> tag, just after the DOCTYPE.  These critical three lines of code are now also being preserved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope this is true!! A support engineer turned it on for me and I tested it but it didn't work. But maybe something wasn't set correctly? I was then put back on the old editor. I am asking for the patch/fix to be made available to us again to try to test it again. I have had new designs sitting in the wings since JUNE.

Dan_Stevens_

When you receive it in Outlook, test to see if the critical lines of code are contained within the <HTML> tag at the top of the source code:

xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"

xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"

To view the source code of an Outlook email:

• open the email in a separate window
  • In the "Move" section of the top ribbon, click the "more move actions" icon (represented by an options list and an envelope"
  • Click "other actions"
  • Click "View source"
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Also read my comments from the other thread and make sure you understand all the nuances of the feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much! I need to have my instance switched back to the the new editor so I can test it more throroughly.