SOLVED

Adjusting current inactivity campaign to account for upcoming Retention Policy Change

Go to solution
Brittany_La
Level 2

Adjusting current inactivity campaign to account for upcoming Retention Policy Change

Hi all,

With the upcoming Retention Policy Change limiting the lookback period on sent/delivered to 90 days, I am hoping to pick your brains on a workaround for an inactivity trigger we have. Currently, we have a batch Smart Campaign in place where the Smart List looks for leads who are at least 180 days old, have been delivered at least 6 emails, and haven't opened any of them. From there, the flow moves them to an unengaged list.

I am wondering how to adjust this moving forward, knowing that the "Was Delivered" filter will only look back on the past 90 days, as opposed to the 180 days. I don't specifically use "Date of Activity" as a constraint but I assume it is implied. I also tried to apply the inactive example from the provided FAQ but I don't know that it applies to our situation. If it does, not sure how to adjust for our situation. 

One way I did think of was adding any leads who are 'unengaged' at create date = 90D to something like a 'risk' list and stamping the date they are added to that list. Then, would use another trigger to look at any lead where risk date + another 90D = today and if they still haven't engaged in any emails, then move them to the completely unengaged list, but that seems so clunky.

Any thoughts on this? Looking forward to your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Adjusting current inactivity campaign to account for upcoming Retention Policy Change

Hi Brittany

With your solution, you won't be able to use "today plus 90 days" as a smart campaign trigger or batch criteria - from what I know anyway. You can only use those tokens in flow steps.

Instead, I would recommend using date stamping to accomplish this. The main problem you will have is "delivered six emails in last 180 days".  So let's say you want to track most recent opens and clicks:

1. Create a smart campaign that takes today's date and stamps it into a custom field, "Last Email Open" each time a person opens an email. Use a trigger on email open "is any" and change data value "Last Email Open" (custom date field you create), with the value being "{{system.date}}". 
  2. Do the same as above but with email clicks (since with image blocking you can click emails without "opening" them - be careful of that one!)

Then your inactivity campaign can say "Show me people who were created more than 6 months ago, last email open is blank or is in past before six months, and last email click is blank or is in past before six months". 

This doesn't address the six emails delivered bit, but that's not really possible with Marketo filters. Although I'm guessing that is taken care of with the "created in the last six months" bit - is it possible someone could be in your database for six months and wouldn't receive at least six emails? As an alternative, you could use instead "was delivered at least 3 emails in the last 90 days", to simply halve it.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Adjusting current inactivity campaign to account for upcoming Retention Policy Change

Hi Brittany

With your solution, you won't be able to use "today plus 90 days" as a smart campaign trigger or batch criteria - from what I know anyway. You can only use those tokens in flow steps.

Instead, I would recommend using date stamping to accomplish this. The main problem you will have is "delivered six emails in last 180 days".  So let's say you want to track most recent opens and clicks:

1. Create a smart campaign that takes today's date and stamps it into a custom field, "Last Email Open" each time a person opens an email. Use a trigger on email open "is any" and change data value "Last Email Open" (custom date field you create), with the value being "{{system.date}}". 
  2. Do the same as above but with email clicks (since with image blocking you can click emails without "opening" them - be careful of that one!)

Then your inactivity campaign can say "Show me people who were created more than 6 months ago, last email open is blank or is in past before six months, and last email click is blank or is in past before six months". 

This doesn't address the six emails delivered bit, but that's not really possible with Marketo filters. Although I'm guessing that is taken care of with the "created in the last six months" bit - is it possible someone could be in your database for six months and wouldn't receive at least six emails? As an alternative, you could use instead "was delivered at least 3 emails in the last 90 days", to simply halve it.

I hope this helps!

Brittany_La
Level 2

Hi! This does help - Thank you so much!