Re: Add to Multiple Engagement Programs Simultaneously

Eitan_Rapps1
Level 4

Add to Multiple Engagement Programs Simultaneously

I am trying to understand if the following scenario is possible. Any ideas?

We have a form which offers the visitor to sign up to receive updates (i.e. adding him to an engagement program).

There are 3 choices:

1) Program A

2) Program B

3) Program A + B

Currently we only have Engagement Program A and Engagement Program B and would prefer to keep it as such.

I tried setting up a Smart Campaign with a flow to divert the person to the correct Engagement Program based on a rule. If the person chooses option 3, however, how can I make sure he is added to both engagement programs? I understand that Marketo only matches the first choice.

I imagine I can solve this by building a third, separate Engagement Program. Is there a solution that does not require this?

Eitan Rapps
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

It just depends on how you have configured the information capture.

Set A+B as the first choice in you flow step and for this one, create a smart list with the A+B criteria, and use the "member of smart list" filter.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And also, pay attention to the communication limits when someone is subscribed to 2 EP's at the same time...

-Greg

Kevin_Delgado1
Level 2

• Engagement Stream A
  • Engagement Stream B

It may be easier if you just create three separate trigger smart campaigns.

Smart Campaign 1: If form is filled out AND field is A AND not a member of engagement stream A, flow step: insert in stream A

• I purposely added "not a member of engagement stream A" to avoid this trigger from executing if the person is already in. I've learned that your trigger queue is important, so try to avoid programs from executing needlessly

Smart Campaign 2: If form is filled out AND field is B AND not a member of engagement stream B, flow step: insert in stream B

Smart Campaign 3: If form is filled out AND field is A + B AND (not a member of engagement stream A OR not a member of engagement stream B), flow step: insert in stream A, insert in stream B

• If its already in either stream, it will try to execute the flow step but do nothing as it doesn't have anything to do for that step. It'll go to the next step and process the next insert.
Kevin_Delgado1
Level 2

Examples below:

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.16.47 AM.png

Smart Campaign 1 - Insert in A

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.17.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.17.25 AM.png

Smart Campaign 2 - Insert in B

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.18.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.18.31 AM.png

Smart Campaign 3 - Insert in A + B

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.21.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 12.21.15 AM.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

That is far too complicated and not optimal performance wise, because it will use 3 smart campaigns while 1 should suffice. Remember that when an event happens, all related triggers are evaluated even if the person does not qualify for the flow.

use a smart list as a flow step choice criteria in the first flow step.

-Greg

Kevin_Delgado1
Level 2

I actually think it is optimal performance wise as you are making the program execute when it needs to, not all the time, when they may be part of the engagement stream already. Also evaluating each time should be fine, that process is very minimal to no time at all, I've never seen it queue up on my "Campaign Queue" or a persons activity if they didn't qualify.

Having them in one smart campaign is possible as well, but how many smart lists will he have to create to use in the flow step. Its like building three smart campaigns anyway if he has to create three smart lists for each "Add Choice" criteria and not necessary if he can access the value directly with the field. Also if they are part of the engagement streams, you are making them go through the flow steps again, if its "do nothing" its still processing each step and registering its membership in the persons activity history ad "did nothing", that is more processing and causes a very minimal queue than evaluating if they qualify.

One flow step doesn't let him add to two engagement streams, just to one based on which criteria is met first. He'll have to drag over two "Add to Engagement Program" flow steps. (remember he has two engagements programs, A   and    B,   A+B doesn't exist and he's trying to avoid building. He wants to add to both engagement programs if the form value chosen is "A+B")

Example of Flow Step(2 flow steps):

1 - "Add to Engagement Program"

If field = A + B (OR member of smart list 1 as Gregg suggested)

Insert in Program A

If field = A (OR member of smart list 2)

Insert in Program A

If field = B (OR member of smart list 3)

Insert in Program B

2 - "Add to Engagement Program"

If field = A + B (OR member of smart list 1)

Insert in Program B

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.46.43 AM.png

I feel my method with three smart campaigns is better but to the main question, it possible Eitan Rapps to have it in one smart campaign.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Believe my 8 years of experiences with Marketo, 3 triggered campaign will never be lighter than 1 in term of workload to the instance.

Furthermore, using triggers is not the best practice when managing leads in EP's. Batch should be preferred.

-Greg

Kevin_Delgado1
Level 2

Oh I agree Gregg, Eitan Rapps avoid using triggers, I should have paid more attention before quickly creating a preview example. Definitely batch it(ideal, but you don't have to either), Eitan change the triggers steps in my example to "filled out form" instead of "fills..." and run them nightly. Still think it should be three smart campaigns (batches) but see what works best for you.

Hope any of the above works for you Eitan Rapps.

Eitan_Rapps1
Level 4

Hi Kevin, I really appreciate the detailed explanation. I understand your setup with 3 triggers but I would like to do it in 1 if possible. Why is a Batch better than a Trigger for Engagement Programs?

Eitan Rapps