Add Multiple Values to a Smart List Filter

sholt
Level 1

Add Multiple Values to a Smart List Filter

Hi, I'm looking for the specific criteria for email addresses to be filtered (excluded) from smart lists. If for example I want to exclude all support@company.com address from smart lists, how should this be entered in the values chooser?

Would one or all of these successfully exclude the address?

1. support
  2. support@
  3. support@company.com

My preference is to simply enter support@ and have it excluded all address that match the username "support@". Entering specific email addresses is time consuming, so a shorthand keyword would be preferred.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Add Multiple Values to a Smart List Filter

Your question isn't really complete because you haven't mentioned the operator you're using in the SL filter.

Email Address [starts with] "support@" will (by definition) match any value that starts with "support@".

sholt
Level 1

Right, good point. The operator is Email Address "not contains", but maybe there's a better operator for my use case?

Based on your feedback so far, sounds like I need several operators/filters. Such as "not starts with" support@. And for examples like "@gmail.com" I could use "not contains".

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, you can use [not starts with] to match the mailbox (left hand side) of an email address.

Using [contains]/[not contains] to match the domain (right hand side) is prone to error. I recommend this method instead.

sholt
Level 1

Whoa, that's a hack alright! I'm definitely getting in over my head a bit 🙂 

Curious if the value itself is case sensitive or needs to be within quotes? Example attached when using [not starts with]

Note: the + is intended to exclude usernames with a +. I'll change that.

Value Chooser.png

SanfordWhiteman

Smart List string comparisons are not case-sensitive.