SOLVED

Re: Ad Bridge Custom Audiences - What data is shared?

Go to solution
Nikki_Roche2
Level 1

Ad Bridge Custom Audiences - What data is shared?

When I send a custom audience to FB or Google, do I need to create a custom view with only data these platforms match on? Or does Marketo only map those fields with each platform and a custom view is not necessary? I work at a bank and our compliance team needs to understand exactly what data is shared with these platforms for our records.

Ashley HendersonJela Bubic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Ads ,

The list you use is just to identify the leads.  All lists refer back to the main database and therefore internally it doesn't matter which list a lead is in - you can still reference all the fields (both standard and custom)

Marketo will ONLY send the fields required by each platform (for obvious reasons)

Cheers

Jo

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Ads
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nikki, did you get an answer to this ever? I have the same question, esp from a data security perspective.

Jo_Pitts1

@Ads ,

The list you use is just to identify the leads.  All lists refer back to the main database and therefore internally it doesn't matter which list a lead is in - you can still reference all the fields (both standard and custom)

Marketo will ONLY send the fields required by each platform (for obvious reasons)

Cheers

Jo

Ads
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @Jo_Pitts1 . For data sharing, is there a way to be selective with the fields? For example, Google Customer Match accepts email, phone, first name, last name, address and post code, but I only want email and/or phone to be shared with the platform. Is that possible?

Phillip_Wild

Hi @Ads ,

So for Facebook, you can choose either basic matching (email address only) or advanced matching (state, phone number etc) at an account level. Does that help? https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/demand-generation/ad-network-inte...

I don't see any option to have only phone or email though. And for Google, there doesn't seem to be a basic or advanced option.

Jo_Pitts1

@Ads ,

my question in this sort of situations is always; why?  Why do you only want to submit the limited subset of fields?

Cheers

Jo

Ads
Level 1
Level 1

@Jo_Pitts1 - working in Financial Services... it's more like why share more than required with external platforms. Checking with Support team if it's possible to control that bit. Will let you know if i find something 🙂

@Phillip_Wild - yes, saw that for FB, none for Google. Thanks for looking into it.

Jo_Pitts1

@Ads ,

The joys of Finserv.  I know the sector all to well.

I think one of the key things to remember is that the data is all hashed, and hence can't ever be reversed.

This support doc from Google is worth reading: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/6334160?hl=en#:~:text=Google's%20system%20transforms%20....

This paragraph (from the link)  is useful:

Google doesn’t receive actual email addresses. Google’s system transforms the contact information we have for Google accounts, like email addresses and phone numbers, into hashed codes using the secure hashing algorithm SHA256, a one-way hashing mechanism that is not unencrypted by Google.

as is this one:

• Limited data retention. We won’t retain your data files for any longer than necessary to create your Customer Match audiences and ensure compliance with our policies. Once those processes are complete, we'll promptly delete the data files you uploaded via the Google Ads interface or the API.

So, the amount you share isn't quite so relevant (I get the concern)

Cheers

Jo

Ads
Level 1
Level 1

Makes sense.

Thanks for the inputs @Jo_Pitts1 !