Accessing external data with Velocity

Anonymous
Not applicable

Accessing external data with Velocity

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with Velocity in detail, so I hope someone with more expertise can help me out here.

We want to be able pull data from a website that's not related to leads, but needs to be up to date when the email is sent. I'd like this to be done along with the email creation, as opposed to pushing this data through to every lead as an extra field (which is messy to say the least).

Programmatically, I can easily see how this works. I'm just not sure how to pull it off in Velocity, and if that's even enabled in the way Marketo has implimented Velocity.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accessing external data with Velocity

If I am following the idea correctly you will need to resource to webhooks to access the external data first and then use Velocity to display that data.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but what I'm trying to avoid is pulling data into lead fields, which is what a webhook would do. I want a programmatic solution, and I'm hoping email scripting can do it.
Brice_Dunwoodie
Level 4

I need the same thing. We need a way to bring in a list of content that is updated daily and display that in our emails.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does not necesarily requires a database field. It can be a program token such as {{my.something}}.
That token is added to the email.

The script would retrieve the intended values and populate the token. It could be as simple as a single value or a large table.

Brice_Dunwoodie
Level 4

Hi Breno,

You say:
"The script would retrieve the intended values and populate the token."

What I'm not understanding is how a script in a Marketo script token would pull in data from an external data source.

Can you shed light there?

-Brice
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also looking for exactly similar thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Faheem
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same question here. Any news on that topic?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

There a couple of ways to do this :

• Through program tokens
  • Through custom objects

Both can now be set using the Rest API, but not from the Velocity script.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Grégoire for your reply.

What I would like to do to have an API to retrieve data from Google docs which will be pushed into a program token. I guess this is not possible?

Thanks in advance

Jörg