Re: A lot of people ask about pre-pop embedded forms...

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

A lot of people ask about pre-pop embedded forms...

My question is why not just iFrame in a Marketo LP?  My company recently acquired another company that wants to maintain their website but incorporate Marketo. We were able to do this pretty easily by creating a landing page template that's basically just a form. They iFrame this into their landing page template and we get full info if it's a known lead in Marketo.

We've been testing this on different browsers and it's working nicely so far. What's the disadvantage of this method?

Robb Barrett
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the disadvantage might be conversion rate of the page the form sits on.  But not sure, I may need to test this out.  If it is iFramed in the web page then that might actually not be an issue but I am just not sure, you should check that out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One main concern is usually responsiveness. Did you test it on different devices and window sizes, not just different browsers?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

In Robb,

In addition to Kristen's point:

• Impossibility to pass URL parameters to the iframed page. So capturing UTM's or campaign sources with hidden fields becomes very difficult (you have to go through cookies or JS code)
  • Slowness of page display
  • Lower performance on an SEO standpoint
  • Double page hits count that you have to pay attention to when setting scoring or reviewing web activity (For instance in MSI)
  • Impossibility to know efficiently (otherwise than looking to the activity logs) on which page you were when the form was filled out (Marketo will give you the name of the iframed page, not the container page). You can workaround this last point creating a different iframe form page for each corresponding container page.

-Greg

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

I pass URL parameters from the parent to the iFrame.  document.referrer works fine.

Page display that we've tried is fine. No extra time.

Robb Barrett
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Parameter code:

function getUrlParameter(sParams)  {

var sRefURL=document.referrer;

var sParamString=sRefURL.split('?');

var sPageURL=sParamString[1];

var sURLVariables = sPageURL.split('&');

for (var i = 0; i < sURLVariables.length; i++)

{

var sParameterName = sURLVariables[i].split('=');

if (sParameterName[0].toLowerCase() == sParams.toLowerCase())

return sParameterName[1];

}

return ''

}

Robb Barrett
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rob,

You are right, I forgot to say it was possible with JS as well as cookies, but cannot be done out of the box

With regards to speed, you may not notice, but search engines do.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great point about search engines!