SOLVED

2 different open rate stats

Go to solution
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

2 different open rate stats

So I created a smart list to track open rate for a particular email.  I then compared to the smart campaign stats for "Opened" and the Open stats are off.  The one from the smart campaign is over reporting by +/- 20.  I checked my other email campaigns and it's the same thing also.  Anyone else seeing that?  Can anyone offer any insight for the difference?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: 2 different open rate stats

There are two possibilities:

1. Refresh the Email Tab report on the Campaign.
2. Yes, go here and scroll down until you see 4 Rules.
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KypP

• Rule #1:  Each email activity record is set to one, and only one, of the following: Delivered, Hard Bounced, Soft Bounced, or Pending.  
  • Rule #2:  If the email record shows Opened, then it is counted as Delivered.
  • Rule #3:  If the email record shows Clicked Email or Unsubscribed, then it is Opened and therefore counted as Delivered.
  • Rule #4:  If the email is Opened, then bounces are ignored. If the email has not been opened, Hard Bounced "wins" if the email record also shows Soft Bounced or Delivered.
NOTE:  As a result of this logic , a metric could potentially count an event (e.g. Delivered) that doesn’t have a corresponding activity log item. This can cause discrepancies in the results when compared to smart lists using email filters.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There are two possibilities:

1. Refresh the Email Tab report on the Campaign.
2. Yes, go here and scroll down until you see 4 Rules.
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KypP

• Rule #1:  Each email activity record is set to one, and only one, of the following: Delivered, Hard Bounced, Soft Bounced, or Pending.  
  • Rule #2:  If the email record shows Opened, then it is counted as Delivered.
  • Rule #3:  If the email record shows Clicked Email or Unsubscribed, then it is Opened and therefore counted as Delivered.
  • Rule #4:  If the email is Opened, then bounces are ignored. If the email has not been opened, Hard Bounced "wins" if the email record also shows Soft Bounced or Delivered.
NOTE:  As a result of this logic , a metric could potentially count an event (e.g. Delivered) that doesn’t have a corresponding activity log item. This can cause discrepancies in the results when compared to smart lists using email filters.
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

Thanks Josh.  That totally makes sense.