SOLVED

Re: 1 Webinar Offered at 2 different times / how to track banner ads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 Webinar Offered at 2 different times / how to track banner ads

I have a client who is running the same webinar at 2 different times on the same day through GoToWebinar. The invitation offers people the choice of times. So far not problem. I simply created 2 webinar programs and a program external to both that handles sending the invitation emails. The problem I don't know how to solve is this: they also want to run display ads promoting the webinar on their home page, Facebook, and possibly other places (I don't have the full list yet) - and I was initially planning to capture the source info from the URL with hidden fields on the LP forms. However, the client wants the display ads to list both times. They were thinking we could create an interim LP that just gives a choice of times and from there the lead would click through to the LP for whichever of the two webinars they want. In this scenario, however, by the time the lead reaches the webinar LP, the fact that they originally came from a banner will be lost. Any ideas on what to setup so as to track the source from banners with 2 different webinar options would be greatly appreciated!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll need to grab the parameters from the URL into cookies which will travel with the lead past the interim LP and to the form LP -- you can then grab the cookie values into hidden field on your forms. There some fairly simple javascript to do this although you'd need help from a developer. 

Taking it a step further, if you use SFDC campaigns, you may want to consider child campaigns in SFDC for each source (email, banner ad) underneath each of the two programs so you can track each promotion channel separately. 

Check out this post from Josh Hill which is relevant: 

http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-attribution-setup-checklist-1846/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

to do this the way you suggest is to require javascript to pass the data along.

It would be better to have two banners and AB test the times with the two ads pointing to separate pages.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll need to grab the parameters from the URL into cookies which will travel with the lead past the interim LP and to the form LP -- you can then grab the cookie values into hidden field on your forms. There some fairly simple javascript to do this although you'd need help from a developer. 

Taking it a step further, if you use SFDC campaigns, you may want to consider child campaigns in SFDC for each source (email, banner ad) underneath each of the two programs so you can track each promotion channel separately. 

Check out this post from Josh Hill which is relevant: 

http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-attribution-setup-checklist-1846/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you used UTM//URL parameters?  I would go this route and tag your URLs to distinguish which banners correspond to which time, maybe use the Campaign Content field --

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much, everyone! Justin - the timing on this one is too tight for getting developer resources involved but I'll look into your suggestion for the next webinar.

(Nate - the banners are going to list BOTH times - that's the challenge.The client doesn't want to make separate banners for the 2 times).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like we all responded within a couple mins of eachother here!  

Sorry Denise, I realize there is more to it as I re-read your, Josh and Justin's posts.  Best of luck, this does sound tricky