🗣️ [Mentor John Grundy] 🌟 Adobe Marketo Engage Community Mentorship Program 2024 🌟

John_Grundy1
Level 3 - Champion

‌‌1️⃣ Section 1 recap

Hi @stevenkane, @puneetk@bflynn-ciena@HallJu9@jelissag 

I hope you managed to make it through the first module of study!

Depending on your role and access to your company’s Marketo Engage instance, it could be the hardest go get hands-on with. But if you have any questions, please add them to this thread!

I’ve noticed some issues with the availability of the exam prep guide link above – but it seems like it’s back online here.

---

Last week's focus: Administration and Maintenance 

Exam topics
Representing 12% of the overall exam score, this section covers:

• Determine the mapping process between Marketo and CRM
  • Identify what happened to an asset using the Audit Trail
  • Recognize differences between users and roles
  • Given a scenario, identify the best fit for using workspace and partitions
  • Identify CRM platforms with native Marketo synchronization
  • Given a scenario, locate where information is referenced
  • Illustrate the benefits of the folder structure and naming conventions

Knowledge Check

After reviewing last week’s material, you should be able to answer these questions:

• What is a Workspace, and when is a Workspace required (instead of a great folder structure)?
  • What is the difference between the Activity Log and Audit Trail? – specifically which data you can find in which
  • A folder containing a triggered Smart Campaign was converted to an Archive folder – will this trigger still be running?
  • If you’re wanting a new field synced between your Marketo Engage instance and CRM system, in which platform should you create it first?

If you’re not sure on the answers to these, or would like to discuss anything from the topics this week – reply to this post, and discuss in the thread!

This week's focus: Marketing Activities/Campaign Management (46% of the exam!)

John_Grundy1
Level 3 - Champion

Re: ‌‌1️⃣ Week 1 recap

I hope you were able to answer these questions based of your self-study, but quickly, here are some answers:

• What is a Workspace, and when is a Workspace required (instead of a great folder structure)?
    A Workspace a ‘container’ which can be configured in Admin based on certain business needs – for example different market units or brands working from the one Marketo Engage instance. Yes, you could achieve the same with a great folder structure too, but Workspaces bring two additional benefits:
    1) you can grant user access to specific workspaces (no not every user can see everything in an instance – not the case with folders)
    2) you can link a Workspace to a database Partition and control what records a certain user can access within in the instance
    (Do note though that Workspaces and Partitions are only in certain product tiers or a paid add-on)
  • What is the difference between the Activity Log and Audit Trail? – specifically which data you can find in which
    You’ll find the Activity Log on the database record of a person – it includes all the details Marketo Engage tracks (email send, open, click, fills out form, data value change, score changes, program membership etc.)
    Audit Trail however tracks a list of changes that Marketo Engage users have made, like login history, approving an email, editing a Smart Campaign, Creating/Cloning/Deleting a program etc.
  • A folder containing a triggered Smart Campaign was converted to an Archive folder – will this trigger still be running?
    One to watch out for - Active Smart Campaigns in an Archive folder will still run!
    Apart from tidying up your program tree, one of the big benefits of an archive folder is to also hide old programs from showing up in the search/type ahead when building a flow.
  • If you’re wanting a new field synced between your Marketo Engage instance and CRM system, in which platform should you create it first?
    There’s always additional considerations when setting a sync, but generally you’ll want to first create the field in your CRM system, then go to Admin and add this field to those that flow in to Marketo Engage. In doing so, a field will also be created in the database and it’ll already mapped to the field in CRM.

Hopefully all clear, but feel free to comment on this thread if any questions (on the above or anything from week 1’s topics)!

John

John_Grundy1
Level 3 - Champion

‌‌2️⃣ Section 2 recap

Firstly, I hope you found some time to go through Section 2 of the Exam Prep Guide.

A few other quick notes:

• I’ve added some answers to last week’s question on the Week 1 recap thread, take a read and feel free to drop any questions there!
  • If you’re keen to get your exam Scheduled, you can also request at 50% discount voucher for your exam as a member of this program (and a reminder, your engagement in the weekly threads could also make you eligible for a 100% certification exam voucher)

---

Last week's focus: Marketing Activities/Campaign Management

Exam topics
A bit topic, representing 46% of the overall exam questions – but probably the area you work in most too! This section covers:

• Understanding the different program types, when to use them, and how to set them up
  • Demonstrating you can translate a requirement into a campaign/build in Marketo Engage based on a scenario
  • Demonstrating knowledge on core concepts like A/B testing, PMCF, Webhooks, Communications Limits, Forms, and Tokens
  • Showing you understand the application and how you’d troubleshoot an issue

Knowledge Check

After reviewing the week 2 material, you should be able to answer these questions:

• Before you can use dynamic content, you need what to be set up?
  • What is use case of a snippet?
  • True or False: If a 'request campaign' is used in a flow; the next flow step in the requesting campaign will only run after the requested campaign is complete?
  • What are the three options when setting how many times a person can run through the smart campaign
  • What is a use case for a my.token? And what three states can a my.token be in?

I’d love to hear your answers to these – please reply to this post and lets discuss in the thread!
Of course, if there are any questions outstanding from Section 2, please add them to this thread too.

This week's focus: Lead and data management

HallJu9
Level 2

Re: ‌‌2️⃣ Section 2 recap

Before you can use dynamic content, you need what to be set up?

• Segmentations

What is use case of a snippet?

• Can be used on landing pages or emails. A use case could be to create a snippet for sales rep email signatures with their personalized contact info and use that so you don't have to create a signature each time and can use it repeatedly across different emails when needed.

True or False: If a 'request campaign' is used in a flow; the next flow step in the requesting campaign will only run after the requested campaign is complete?

• False, the request campaign runs in parallel with any additional flow steps

What are the three options when setting how many times a person can run through the smart campaign

• Once
  • Once every X days
  • Every Time

What is a use case for a my.token? And what three states can a my.token be in?

• Use case for a my.token could be having a my.token for a global UTM parameter (my.globalUTM) to include on clickable links in an email w/in a email program template.
  • 3 states a my.token could be in: Local, Overriden, Inherited

One question: What are some good use cases for trigger and PMCF tokens?

John_Grundy1
Level 3 - Champion

Thanks @HallJu9 

Seems like we need harder question for this week's recap 😉

To answer your question: 

What are some good use cases for trigger and PMCF tokens?

(assuming two separate questions: use cases for triggers and use case for PMCF)

Triggers

Smart campaigns can be set as either two types: Scheduled Batch or Trigger.
Triggers are constantly 'listening' for the specific action to happen (e.g. Added to list, Filled out form, Person is created) - once it identifies a person record that does this action, and it meets any filter conditions added to the Smart List, they will move onto the flow. Note: that if you have multiple triggers in a Smart List, they are considered as ORs (e.g. Person is created OR Added to List). To make a trigger start listening for the action, in Schedule tab of a Smart Campaign you'll just get the 'Activate' button.

Scheduled Batch campaigns on the other hand only run as per the scheduled date+time or recurrence as configured in the Schedule tab of the Smart Campaign. For a Batch, you don't activate, but either 'Run Once' or 'Schedule Recurrence' 

PMCF - Program Member Custom Fields

Before we had PMCF, all data fields belonged to a person or company. With PMCF, you can have a field value that is specific to a person AND the program they are member of. So, if you had an event registration form and there was a required question on number of additional guests, dietary preference, t-shirt size - things you don't really want to create a Person-level database field for, a PMCF is the perfect solution.
In a previous instance I worked in, we'd sometimes also need to have a custom value added to an email. This was often added via a list import to a 'temporary' field. The problem would be if multiple users needed to do this at the same time - the field value would be overwritten and a user would get out-of-context value in their email. Leveraging PMCF here is ideal, given that the value for this field is local to that specific program, and each program could have it's own value. 
Other use cases could be to capture campaign parameters (like UTMs). Each program a person becomes a member of , you can preserve those UTMs in that program, rather than a Person-level field that keeps getting overwritten. 

A tip: There can only be 20 PMCF fields created, so best to call them something generic. I use something like Local 1 - String (Local, like how a my.token is local to a program + field type). Then in the program description, make a as to what value is stored in that field (e.g. Local 1 - String = t-shirt size). 

HallJu9
Level 2

Yep, 2 questions there! Should have phrased that a bit better hah. Thanks for replying back with those use cases!

I think the one thing that has confused me (even though it's probably pretty straightforward) when reviewing Trigger tokens information was understanding the difference between {{trigger.Trigger Name}} and {{trigger.Name}} and when one should be used over the other. For instance the image below (https://theworkflowpro.com/marketo-trigger-tokens/). I don't quite understand when I should be using 'Trigger Name' vs. 'Name' and what the best practices may be for using them.

HallJu9_0-1718628290488.png

John_Grundy1
Level 3 - Champion

Hi @HallJu9 
Great question - and one I have to always double check - but you're right, it's a pretty straight forward answer (once you get the order right).

{{trigger.Trigger Name}} - this is the name of the trigger that initiated the flow (e.g. Opened email; Filled out Form etc.)
{{trigger.Name}} - this is the name of the asset that form which the above trigger happened.

So, if you had a string like: 
{{trigger.Trigger Name}} {{trigger.Name}}. Link: {{trigger.Link}} 
In text it'd translate to: 
Clicked link in Email NL-EMEA-2024-06-Issue 14-1234. Link: https://www.website.com/link 

HallJu9
Level 2

Thanks @John_Grundy1! That was really helpful to see with the example you had laid out.

John_Grundy1
Level 3 - Champion

3️⃣ Section 3 recap

How was your week learning about Lead and Data Management?

Exam topics
Hopefully now you know all the ins-and-outs of:

• Lead Scoring
  • Interesting Moments
  • Managing data quality
  • Data retention policies

Knowledge Check

After reviewing the week 3 material, have a go at answering these questions. Please share your answers or questions as a reply to this post.  

• Does a transition rule push or pull people from one stream to another?
  • If you wanted to reset the value of a Scoring field, or set it to a specific number, what is the format of the value you would type into the flow step?
  • You had an Interesting Moment configured according to best practices (i.e. centralized and leveraging {{trigger.tokens}}. In testing, you notice that {{trigger.Details}} doesn’t show anything for an Opens Email activity. Why might this be?
  • You’re creating a Segmentation, and your segmentation rule contains an OR statement in some of the filters. As a result, a person could now potentially qualify for more than one segment. Which segment will they end up in?

Extra knowledge check

With only one module to go, maybe you’re doing some other preparation exercises. One I’d recommend is the practice test. To do this:

To take the practice test:

1. First, log in to the Adobe Credential Management System with your Adobe ID.
  2. Then, go to the Adobe Certification Exam Prep Portal to find your practice test.

There are some nice quizzes on Quizlet, like this one you can try.

Next week: Reporting

And as usual, please reply with any questions. 
Good luck, and I hope you have a great week!

HallJu9
Level 2

Re: 3️⃣ Section 3 recap

Hope everyone is having a great start to the week!

Does a transition rule push or pull people from one stream to another?

• Pull

If you wanted to reset the value of a Scoring field, or set it to a specific number, what is the format of the value you would type into the flow step?

• To reset the value of the Scoring field or set it to a specific number, we can use the format "change score to = [value]." We could also use (+) or (-) from the current score too.

You had an Interesting Moment configured according to best practices (i.e. centralized and leveraging {{trigger.tokens}}. In testing, you notice that {{trigger.Details}} doesn’t show anything for an Opens Email activity. Why might this be?

• Not 100% sure but I believe it most likely does not show anything because there are no additional details to provide outside of that the email was opened. 

You’re creating a Segmentation, and your segmentation rule contains an OR statement in some of the filters. As a result, a person could now potentially qualify for more than one segment. Which segment will they end up in?

• The first segment they qualify for.